Question About Nursing Home Donations

CrochetAmore

My daughter and I want to make small crocheted items to donate to our local nursing home. We would like some ideas as we are at a loss. We cannot possibly make a blanket for everyone by ourselves, but we'd like to make things like bookmarks, etc... just a little something to say someone cares. However, not everyone in a nursing home is able to read. Are there any other functional or practical items that you can suggest? Thanks so much! :hug

My son is in a long term care facility due to a traumatic brain injury, so I've been crocheting for his center and I've noticed that some of the patients don't have any winter items. If you want to make things like scarves, hats, shawls or mittens (easier than gloves to put on); I'm sure the staff can direct your donation to someone who doesn't have much. I like and lapghans in manly colors as well as for the ladies, because often you feel colder when you get up in years.

small pillows that can be placed behind the neck or under arms.... their skin is very fragile and for someone sitting in a chair for long periods of time a pillow is appreciated... it would probably be best to use acrylic yarn... things get washed frequently...

Not everyone needs a blanket. a 3x5 1/2 foot blanket is perfect for the hospital beds and they 'should' give stuff out to those that have no family at all first.

Shawls - rather, I should say stoles - the points tend to get caught up in the back of the wheelchairs are wonderful because it's always so cold in nursing homes to begin with.

If you really want to make their day - go garage sailing and find cute sweatshirts! Those go like hotcakes. We brought a couple boxes of them in after I went thru my Stepmom's stuff for my Dad and the ladies acted like it was Christmas.

They brought in the people that have no family and everything was handed out in less than 5 minutes.

• 2 weeks later...

I made just small lapgahns just big enough to put on there laps they loved them, and pillows I done them for bingo prizes as I was doing them alone and couldnt make a bunch ,I used left over yarn for them they went really fast, some of them just like something soft to hold.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Archived