Crochet socks - why?

Just my opinion but I find it so gratifing to knit my socks. I started out with finger yarn just to get the feel of using 4 needles at one time. It is easier than it sounds. I have graduated to sock yarn and sock yarn doesn't leave the gaps between needles like the regular yarns. I also used red hearts sock yarn with aloe and that is pretty inexpensive and since it is self striping you get a nice result and can still do a simple pattern. Sock yarn gives you a much nicer stretch to the sock plus, usually has wool in it so it wears better.

To me socks are like pretty underwear, I know it's there and it makes me feel good! Unfortunately my DD did not inherit my love of crocheting or knitting so I keep threatening to make all her socks for her. I even found a pattern once for a pair of g string underwear and told her I would start making all her underwear too, lol.

I love to crochet slippers in all weights of yarn. I even wear them in my tennis shoes when it is cold. Can I buy them cheaper, yes. But, then it becomes just a pair of socks.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just my opinion but I find it so gratifing to knit my socks. I started out with finger yarn just to get the feel of using 4 needles at one time. It is easier than it sounds. I have graduated to sock yarn and sock yarn doesn't leave the gaps between needles like the regular yarns. I also used red hearts sock yarn with aloe and that is pretty inexpensive and since it is self striping you get a nice result and can still do a simple pattern. Sock yarn gives you a much nicer stretch to the sock plus, usually has wool in it so it wears better.

To me socks are like pretty underwear, I know it's there and it makes me feel good! Unfortunately my DD did not inherit my love of crocheting or knitting so I keep threatening to make all her socks for her. I even found a pattern once for a pair of g string underwear and told her I would start making all her underwear too, lol.

I love to crochet slippers in all weights of yarn. I even wear them in my tennis shoes when it is cold. Can I buy them cheaper, yes. But, then it becomes just a pair of socks.

All I have to say is Amen Sister!! I'm wearing a knitted pair of socks right now. They're not knit with sock yarn (just moda dea self striping yarn) but I love them. Wore my other, other pair of knitted socks yesterday (my first pair) and I love them. They are made with wool (plymouth encore I believe) but oh my goodness they are heavenly. I'm working on a pair of socks with lion brand cotton ease right now. I have some real sock yarn that was a gift from someone here on the ville but I'm waiting till I have the right size needles (it will be a while. Can't afford 'em right now).

Anyways, GO KNITTED SOCKS!!

Julee

p.s. If you're a beginner sock knitter take a look at the book "Sensational Knitted Socks".

It's an amazing book. Teaches you the basics of socks and all sorts of amazing stuff. I don't usually like crochet and knitting books but this knitting book will never leave my side though. I'd die if something happened to it.

• 1 month later...

I found an easy pattern online once so I decided to try it. I had a skein of VERY BRIGHT "fiesta" Red Heart Yarn and no idea what to do with it.

The resulting socks were Funky to say the least but my then 8 year old son fell in love with them! He even told me to make socks for everyone for Christmas because I was so good at it! (he has very low standards of quality LOL)

When the school had crazy sock day he was all set!

I like crocheted socks as "slipper socks" put a few dots of fabric puff paint on the bottom to prevent sliding.

Just thought I'd throw my :2c in on this one.

I've never made socks before but its on my to-do list. I don't want to make socks to wear everyday with my shoes. I want to make those awesome fuzzy socks that I spend a ton of money on at the store. They are great to wear around the house in the winter and I want some more.

:) Sock yarn is rather expensive (I think the cheapest I've seen is around $12.00 a skein) - and if you take into account the time it takes to make them - to me it just doesn't make sense. But, that's just my opinion.

Debi Y. :hook

Joann's fabrics sells a sock yarn for $5 a skein, it took me 2 skeins to do two socks. but they also have a brand that will make two socks for $9.

To add to my last comment, I guess the "why" would be because I think that, for me anyway, crocheting socks might be a good way to get up enough confidence to try a bigger garment. I certainly wouldn't start with a sweater right off the bat. I think if I could make a successful pair of socks I would convince myself that other stuff was do-able, if that makes sense.

I dont wear my homemade socks in shoes...nuh uh no way. I however get VERY cold feet/hands. I like them for in the car, around the house, and sometimes at night because my hubby has it cold and apparently I can bundle up and he can only take so much clothes off (lol!) I like making them for infants and small kidos too. Ive never used a "sock" yarn either

Archived