Some dyeing projects of mine

thatagirl

These are a few of my dyeing projects. Most were done a while back, but I'm just getting around to sharing. I have a sack of wool waiting for me to attack it with color some time when I have free time.

All images are clickable. Or should be at least :P

2566677814_f5a1fc453e_m.jpg

Some cotton yarn my 4 year-old helped to dye.

2585548293_711e133f4e_m.jpg

"Pond Water" wool fingering yarn

2591100404_bce28e3610_m.jpg

"Janelle" wool fingering yarn, named for the friend of mine who inspired the colors

2727567733_c7056ba84a_m.jpg

"Smashed Bananas" wool fingering yarn

2728394246_8189ec7b61_m.jpg

"Spring Flower Garden" wool fingering yarn

I'm thinking of making the hubby take the kiddos for daddy/sons day out tomorrow so I can dye up a bunch more. Even if the results aren't always awesome, I love playing with color. Thanks for looking!

:) Thank you.

With the cotton yarn I just wound it into skeins and my son and I used tie-dye kits and squeezed the colors onto the yarn. With the wool I soak the yarn in some vinegar and water and then toss it in the crock pot and dump some dyes over it. I just play around to get the different color combos, etc.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Your "Pond Water" wool is gorgeous! And I can't wear wool ~ oh, I want to cry. Maybe I could dye cotton. Is it possible to dye worsted weight cotton?

You have really inspired me! Usually when anyone says they dye cotton, it turns out they mean thread. I really, REALLY can't crochet with thread. But worsted weight is different. I am so excited!

I live in a very small town, but we do have a Walmart with Peaches & Cream, and I know they carry the white on cones. Yipee!

Thank you so much for showing us your work, and for your advice. I am going to dye some cotton.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Archived