Mohair?

MidnightandOreo

I had the "good" fortune of getting some lime green mohair yarn that was half made up into a sweater, but when I tried to frog it, it ripped, and I realized it was so old, it was inusable so I tossed it. It was a nice lime color, though. Anyway (as I digress) I didn't actually get the chance to try it out and I have never tried out any more, but it seemed to have a nice thread in the middle where the mohair came off (so maybe it wasn't 100%) that seemed like it would make working up easier. I suggest (how much do you guys have?) that you make one of those AJ Wrist Bags located in the original pattern section. Or one of Chelle's Lacy Ponchos located on her website. Have fun with it!:hook

Hmmm...I never would have thought to make a wrist bag with it! I was given 2 balls of Bernat KidMohair in Pearl gray and one in red. I think I'll make one up with the red.:D

Ok, I give up! I have crocheted for years and have never heard of "frogging". Am I just a dummy?

In my neck of the woods "frogging" means going out in a creek or ditch and snatching frogs!

I'm glad someone asked about this, I was given 4 balls of pretty blue Swiss mohair by my grandma when she was sharing her yarn stash with me, and I have no idea what to do with it. I traded 4 more balls of pink with my aunt in exchange for sock yarn, but I'm determined to keep whatever I make with the blue for ME! :lol

Well, in that case, I have been frogging for years, LOL. So much for self teaching! I have never used mohair, either, but it sounds so luscious!

I had the same problem.

I saw some beautiful variegated wool, and it had a colour in it that reminded me of my best friend. It happened to be mohair and I couldn't make a pattern that looked neat. I whipped up a scarf in it with an 8mm hook all in sc (I tried a smaller hook, but I couldn't get it to look okay). It went beautiful and soft with a wash, and looks like it's in a waffle-type pattern (since all of the stitches are kinda far apart).

I don't know if that's any help, but frogging mohair is a nightmare, even with that bigger hook, so I found a scarf was good because I got the feel of working with mohair but didn't have to worry about messing up a pattern!

In other words - I don't have a clue!

Well, in my big stash haul there were 2 balls of Bernat KidMohair in pearl grey and 1 in a red color with no label, but looks the same. I love mohair to begin with. I used to have a mohair sweater that I wore out...lol! But this just isn't enough yarn for a sweater. And from what I can see, Bernat doesn't put this stuff out anymore. But, I think somewhere I have a pattern for a shawl that uses some mohair, though it is knit. But with how little i have, I think it might be a worthwhile option.

Archived