Funny looks!

:lolI got to looking at all the nice doilies being made in show-and-tell, and then I got to looking at a few of my own that I have made around the house.

They are all so pretty, and this is the time of year I take small threadie projects with me so if it is too hot and sticky to work on yarn projects I always have a threadie so I can still crochet when the mood strikes.

Anyways, I got to chuckling when I remembered all the times I would be doing doilies and such and folks that noticed me crocheting wherever I happened to be would exclaim excitedly - "Wow that's cool my grandmother used to do that let me see"....I would hold it up and of course you all know when you are working on a threadie before it is pressed out and blocked - well it can strangely resemble a jumble of seaweed in thread....:eek

I chuckle cuz you watch those have no clue about the process of crochet - their faces fall and their expressions kinda change as they look at what you are holding up or spreading out with your hands to show as they say "Oh....that's.(pause)...."nice"....:think

I sometimes wonder if they think...."Wow... she looked like she knew what she was doing but she has NO future in needlework if that is what she came up with cuz that mess definately didn't look like my grama's doily:2eek:2eek:faint:faint:ohdear:ohdear:rofl:rofl:rofl:rofl:rofl:rofl :lol:lol

lolol

I smooth out my doilies and line up the stitches after every round so mine are pretty much flat for the most part. (Another thing my Grandmother taught me)

I think the funniest looks I get are when people ask me what I'm making and I tell them an afghan and there's only a few inches done on it. They just can't seem to understand that it has to start somewhere.

Most of my friends think I can make an afghan in a day, so when they see me a few days after a small section they ask "oh did you finish". When I say no they seem to think I take forever!

Even better is when people see a 24" wide afghan and say "oh are you making a scarf?" Um...not unless you have a very very long neck!

This weekend I was working on a jacket at my grandparents' anniversary party and a few people came up and asked about my crocheting. Most of them asked if I was making an afghan! Well I guess it was bunched up in my lap so they couldn't really tell what shape it was:) I think it's fun crocheting in different places. I don't usually get any strange looks from anyone. Sometimes people tell me that they are glad I am crocheting because so many people don't or they'll say that their grandmother or other relative used to or does crochet but they never learned how.

What gets me is that no matter what I am making,using yarn or thread, people ALWAYS seem to think Im making an afghan.I was crocheting at church one day, I was crocheting a skirt and this man walked up to me and asked if I was crocheting him an afghan, I smiled and I said "no Im crocheting a skirt but you are more than welcome to have it when im done". His face turned red and he laughed and said "gee thanks". I laughed, I thought it was funny!

So it's not just me???:think:think:think

You all are just toooo funny with your tales of "funny looks" and what people's interpretation of your crafting equates to - just tickles my funny bone!!!

:laughroll:laughroll:laughroll:laughroll:laughroll

Archived