YARNS and PATTERN advice seeker- UK

HI all, now this may seem strange BUT I have put all my purchased crochet garments on my blog because I WOULD LOVE TO receive some advice as to WHERE in the UK / online one can get viscose or viscose/lurex fine yarns ( for between a 2 mm up to a 4mm hook size) or cotton yarns ???In lots of colours?:yes

And where does one find patterns which look as good as commercially available garments in the shops today?:think

MAYBE also you will find INSPIRATION in the lovely stitches shown in detail and clickable for close ups ???

It's also a celebration of some great crochet done mostly in China by some very clever people!:clap

Have a look : www.merrysusan.blogspot.com and PLEASE let me have some advice, comments, feedback???

I need to STOP buying and get on with MAKING IT MYSELF much more!!!

ALL FOR THE LOVE OF CROCHET...:crocheting

You have purchased some very pretty garments, it was fun looking at them. I will be very interested to see what kind of responses you get. I have seen several crocheted garments in catalogs that I really liked, that I wish I could find a pattern for, or at least something similar. I guess the people designing the commercial garments are not the same people who design patterns for home crocheters. I also agree with your observation that the yarns used seem different than what we can buy for our own use.

I feel that the real problem is not with the patterns, but with finding the threads and yarns. Manufacturers have access to materials which are unfortunately not available to us hobby crocheters. The garments you have bought are certainly very pretty, but the patterns are not impossible to replicate, particularly with the sample in front of you. But you will never get the same effect without the right threads. Recently I saw a beautiful lacy top in Evans but did not bother to study the stitches because I knew that without the lovely gold thread they had used, it would be pointless trying to make it.

good luck in your search for suitable yarns! you have some nice pieces in your wardrobe, I am sure you could make something similar! I however have not the skill or patience to attempt anything like that! I have made poncho's and shawls but that's as far as I have gone with garments! :)

I agree, Texere should have some. I've never bought anything from them yet but was just there a couple days ago looking for some aran weight cotton and they have TONS of thin yarns and some gold/silver yarn as well. Their prices are really good and lots of the yarn come on cones. You might also try EBay if you're willing to buy from Turkey or Paraguay as they seem to have a big selection listed there.

Funny, over here we think the UK has all the wonderful yarn available and you obviously think we have it. Knitting and crochet magazines all have loads of adverts for yarn and there's always Google to search for yarn companies. Good luck on your search. Zaraliz

Archived