Bruges lace crochet

rascalsmom

I got my newest patterns from the Collectible Doily series, and there's a couple there for Bruges crochet. The patterns seem terribly LONG for relatively small items.

Is this hard to do? I think I will give it a try soon, but wanted some input from those of you who've done it.

I like Bruges lace work, some of them are very frustrating (the one I am trying to make now :) ) but some of them are easy. I agree with RoseRed, Krakovianka is making some beautiful Bruges work

Demet

Yes, they are a bit tricky, although some are simpler than others. The one in my avatar (the first one I ever attempted, in my great ignorance) is very complex. Some just have a nice, regular, wavy tape and that's not as hard, and would have been a better first Bruges project, if I had only known.

The first Bruges patterns I ever saw were diagrammed (with symbol crochet), and never in my wildest dreams could I imagine that the patterns could be written out. Only recently did someone show a Bruges doily made from a written pattern, and it had over 600 rows. :eek

So now I know there are designers willing to write patterns for 600 row doilies and people willing to follow them, too. I am not one of those people--I must have the diagram, which I am sure simplifies the work somewhat, because you can see exactly where the joins are made, count the number of loops required and compare to your own work, etc... The joins are sometimes amazingly complex, sometimes not so much.

Here's a link that will tell a bit more about it, and has some small diagrammed practice pieces to look at.

http://www.beadsky.com/brugge.php

If you do tackle the project, I look forward to seeing the finished results. I love Bruges patterns!

P.S. This is not the kind of project you can do while watching TV, but I bet you already guessed that!

I have started a new pattern today and I am running into some major problems:eek. The pattern is a basket weave, and I was planning to make the disign be a checker board. But I am changing colors every 10 dc. So I have tons of loose ends from changing colors so often. I have tried to crochet them in like I normally do but because I am doing the dcfp and the dcbp it is really confusing me. Help will be much appreciated!!

Thanks,

Mandie:)

Wow, i have never heard of this before, but i did a google search to find out about it and it is absolutely beautiful. I checked krakovianka's link, but I didnt really see any patterns. I was wondering if any of you knew of any patterns that would be good for a beginner in Bruges lace to give it a try. TIA, and thanks for opening this thread about a technique that looks so cool.

I finished my first Bruges doily recently (from an Annie's Attic magazine) it was rated Experienced. I didn't find it HARD, it just required a lot of concentration as opposed to many other doily patterns where once you 'get' the pattern repeat for a round, you don't have to focus a lot.

My pattern didn't have a chart, it was all written out and was over 600 rows...but each 'row' was very short. No difficult stitches. There were repetitions, but it was every 20 or 30 'rows', so was hard to memorize. What I found helpful was to use a 'sticky' marker to mark each row...I was moving the marker every few minutes but if I didn't keep track and got distracted, it was difficult to figure out where I was. I agree with Karen, it would be easier to do with a chart, harder to get 'lost'.

Give it a try!

Archived