Interesting,,,

I have often looked ,drooled ,wished that I had a interest in knitting when looking at a pattern only to find out it is not crochet.

To me it just takes so long to accomplish anything when knitting. A number of articles have been written on how to convert knitting to crochet ; however

this http://www.ehow.com/how_18632_convert-knitting-pattern.html

is by far the one that I think I can get the hang of.

Just thought it may interest/help some others if they have not happened upon it yet.

"Have a great day and don`t trip over your hook and land on a needle":devil

I hate to be a wet blanket but all this will get you is something the same size as the knitted piece. It won't remotely look like the knitted item in terms of drape and stitch pattern...and the 'look and feel' is probably why you want to make it in the first place, right?

...no way six rows of stockinette resembles one row of treble crochet, for example.

I hate to be a wet blanket but all this will get you is something the same size as the knitted piece. It won't remotely look like the knitted item in terms of drape and stitch pattern...and the 'look and feel' is probably why you want to make it in the first place, right?

...no way six rows of stockinette resembles one row of treble crochet, for example.

No need to apologize I myself would rather know before hand rather than put time and effort into it and then find out.

I agree with Granny Square.

And the crocheted piece comparable to knit will be heavier and not as drapey, so to get that effect, you have to go from worsted weight down to sport weight yarn. But when you go to sport weight, the stitch count and row count are changed dramatically, so they have to be refigured. Eeeeeeeek!

I have a few knit tops on file that I want to convert, and every now and again I go look at them. I haven't converted even the simplest one yet, although I think I may be able to do at least that one.

I agree. Knitting results in a much thinner fabric so you have to use a much thinner yarn if you want to make it in crochet. You can't really convert knitting to crochet because it is apples and oranges. Why not simply copy the style of the pattern by choosing a crochet stitch and making the garment to your measurements? It won't look like knitting but if you are careful to choose a thin yarn, you may be able to pull off the over-all design.

Afterthought: if you use a very thin yarn and the Tunisian stitch, you may be able to get a result that looks like knitting.

Archived