My very 1st!

rstultz

These are from the samples of rovings that my FGM sent me.:manyheart

Well here it is.....

2615216343_6ca7cc26b5_m.jpg

This is the start of the 2nd attemt.....

2615216357_dbfa353350_m.jpg

I just ordered some more roving. I can not wait.

i love the colors too...call me dumb but what is roving? did you dye these yourself? what is the spindle looking thing??

Roving, sometimes called top or sliver, is wool that has been washed, combed, and carded, as well as sometimes dyed, into a thick rope to be spun.

My FGM gave them to me, so no I didn't dye them. The spindle is a Top whorl drop spindle, not sure where she got it. I think off e-bay.

You did very well for your first time!!!!

But....not to sound rude as *I* am VERY much still learning all of this myself but roving/batts/sliver/top are all a bit different and the process to get all of them is a bit different as well. My head started spinning while learning all of this and seeing the batts vs the roving and so on and so on LOL!

Here's a few good links I found on other boards about it as well :).

http://askthebellwether.blogspot.com/2007/03/whats-difference-between-batts-roving.html

http://askthebellwether.blogspot.com/2007/05/whats-difference-between-roving-and-top.html

http://www.interweave.com/spin/spinoff_magazine/files/winter_07/SO_Spin_Tips_Roving_Tops_Sliver.pdf

Very nice! I have been spinning about 3 years and I love it! Do you plan on plying your singles together?

Adventually. The two pictures I posted really wernt enough for anything. I am getting some more fiber any day and will get back to work.

Great job! Keep it up!!

Thanks for the links JellyBean about the differences between batts/roving/top & slivers (pronounced SLIII-ver)

Bellwether knows her stuff and is a real sweetie

She really seems it. I have enjoyed reading her stuff :). I haven't actually chatted/talked/posted with her just read up on her links and what not. Found her over on Ravelry...are you on there by chance :).

To the OP, definately keep it up! It's quite addicting too isn't it? I have found myself drafting while we're on car rides (even if it's just a 5 min drive LOL!) so that as soon as we stop I can pull out my spindle LOL!

She really seems it. I have enjoyed reading her stuff :). I haven't actually chatted/talked/posted with her just read up on her links and what not. Found her over on Ravelry...are you on there by chance :).

To the OP, definately keep it up! It's quite addicting too isn't it? I have found myself drafting while we're on car rides (even if it's just a 5 min drive LOL!) so that as soon as we stop I can pull out my spindle LOL!

It is addicting. I can picture my self drafting in the car. Have you seen people spinning with just a hook? Imagine you could do that in the car.

Check it out. The post is about in the middle. Spinning with a hooky stick. I'm gonna try it.

It is addicting. I can picture my self drafting in the car. Have you seen people spinning with just a hook? Imagine you could do that in the car.

Check it out. The post is about in the middle. Spinning with a hooky stick. I'm gonna try it.

Ohhhhh.....I may have to try that LOL! Gives whole new meaning to this smiley :hook LOL! Who says it's gotta be a crochet hook...could be a hooky stick!!!

I've also seen mini drop spindles as well...but this hooky stick seems much more portable!

I think it is a really neat idea, especially for those like me who can't sit still long. And some times just don't have the attention span for a pattern.

Archived