The county fair

I received my book today and I am so excited. For the first time, they have two catagories for afghans. They have afghans, and baby afghans as seperate catagories for the first time. I always thought that it wasn't fair to judge a full size against a baby size afghan.

I have two baby afghans finished and I had started a full size rr but put it aside to work on other things. So now I have to get back to it so I can enter it.

Also, they increased some catagories and added potholders.

So I'm looking for a very great potholder pattern. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Who's entering their fair this year and what are you making?

:manyheart

I am in the county next to you (DuPage) and we have several categories for afghans: baby, 2 colors, 3 colors, pieced together (granny square type), and a few more. I am planning on entering a baby blanket and a sweater I made for my Daughter for Easter. Good luck with your enteries....bring home the blue.

Our fairs season starts the end of July, I enter in the local fair, and then 2 weeks later enter at the Ag-Expo. Our fair has a lot of afghan categories compared to the Ag-Exp, the Ag-Expo only has 2 afghan categoreis, small and large. What am I not making is the question, I've been working on items since Jan.

Good Luck with all your entries, I'm sure you'll bring home first place. Can't wait to see how you make out.

I'm already entered (well, sent my paperwork) to the Ohio State Fair in the afghan and baby categories. I'll be entering our local fair--it's not till August-- in several categories of afghan. I like it--gives me a marker of how well I'm doing compared to my peers. The last several years I've done well--ok, really well--and while it's not a cure for cancer or anything, it makes me feel good. I end up donating almost all my winners to charity anyway.

Good luck!!

Colleen

I found a nice potholder pattern and I am working on it for the fair.

Peace and quiet here. The boys went to the Sox game so I have time to myself.

I will probably make a doll outfit for the Misc. catagory and maybe a ruffle on a little girl teeshirt for the flat edge design.

I love the fair.

I'm sure that you aren't making millions on your winnings but how much are the premiums for where you all are?

Here, premiums are $3, $2, and $1. The last time I entered the fair was when I was about 13. I won 1st place for my crocheted afghan in popcorn stitch. :D I think I may try to make something to enter this year.

I haven't entered anything in our county fair in years since I took a break from crocheting. My husband's xmas stocking saying DAD won a blue ribbon and so did the lion blanket and I and a second place for something else. Now that I'm back in the swing of things I'm hoping to make some things this coming year to enter. Last time I entered anything our payouts were $5, $3 and $1 and that was about 10 or so years ago. I'm sure it's about the same still.

Good luck with your entries!

I think our local premiums are in the 3-2-1 range and I think I won like $20 for the state fair. It just feeds my habit and I just end up at WalMart buying more yarn!

Colleen

Yes, McHenry County Fair is still $4, $3, and $2 for prizes. I just like entering.

They also used to print the results in the newspaper, but they don't do that for every catagory anymore. Probably too costly.

I've made 5 things already and I need a couple more for the miscellanceous catagory.

I just like seeing how I place among other crocheters. I may even do a piece of plastic canvas this year, just to be different.

It depends on how much time I have.

I just finished a doily over the weekend to enter and now going to work on a set of pot holders. They opened up a few more area's for us to enter this year. Our fair is getting smaller every year, so I like to enter and encourage others to do the same to keep it going. If you live in a small town and county like I do, you need to keep the tradition alive!

LeAnn

Archived