New to spinning... pics!

jacobsmommy924

I'm pretty new to spinning, but I love it already. Just wish I had a little more time to practice! I'm teaching myself, so there is a lot of confusion.... :think

I just bought some roving from the Hobby Lobby to practice with. I think it came out pretty good though, especially for my first time!

I think I made it too thick though.... It's only 1 ply and I can't imagine making it into 2 ply.

Of course since it was just practice, it really wasn't enough to work into anything.

Anyway, here it is: :D

Baby830.jpg

Baby825.jpg

Wow! That's awesome! I took one spinning class so far and I'm almost as clueless as I was before! It's a skill, like riding a bike- you have to manage several things at one time to get it right, but once you get it, you have it for always. At least that's what I'm told! LOL! I helped to shear our sheep this weekend- there's a pic on my blog. Congrats, I think you did a great job spinning! Carey

JacobsMommy

Good job! Far better than my first attempt!!!

Just keep practicing and you will have more control over your yarn size.

Draft more/more twist = skinny yarn

Draft less/less twist = fat yarn

All are good!!!

Can't wait to see more

Wow! That's awesome! I took one spinning class so far and I'm almost as clueless as I was before! It's a skill, like riding a bike- you have to manage several things at one time to get it right, but once you get it, you have it for always. At least that's what I'm told! LOL! I helped to shear our sheep this weekend- there's a pic on my blog. Congrats, I think you did a great job spinning! Carey

That's awesome that you sheared your sheep! My husband and I just bought a house on an acre of property and were thinking about getting a lamb or two once we were settled. I'll have to check out your blog!

I agree with you, I think it's exactly like riding a bike! I just need to find more time to practice! :D

JacobsMommy

Good job! Far better than my first attempt!!!

Just keep practicing and you will have more control over your yarn size.

Draft more/more twist = skinny yarn

Draft less/less twist = fat yarn

All are good!!!

Can't wait to see more

Thank you! I've done some more since then, it still came out pretty thick. It's going to be a trial and error process... I'm thinking about ordering some roving and trying that, rather than use the pre-packaged hobby lobby stuff I bought. We'll see how that works out...

Thanks for the advice! I'll post some more pictures later of the yarn I just made the other day. I thought it was enough to make a baby hat, but it wasn't :P I just left it worked up, so I have half a hat, haha :D

I'd love to see some of the beautiful yarn you've made!

I am just learning on a drop spindle and I dont reccomend trying to learn with alpaca first. I am not very good at it yet but when I am I am going to spin the rest of the alpaca cause I love how soft it is.

Corriedale was my first fiber and remains my favorite. It is next-to-skin soft enough, yet makes a sturdy yarn. The fiber length is wonderful and it drafts well.

Thanks for the heads up! As soon as I can, I'm going to try this fiber out! :D

Archived