Silly question

For the daffodil cloth I'm guessing the flowers fit best with the stems toward the center and the petals near the edge so that they exploded, more or less, from the center. When you design a circular piece of crochet it could be a problem to make certain designs not "on their heads". This is just speculation, though. Maybe some designers will weigh in for you, RoseRed.

That's an interesting observation, I've never thought of that, but now that I do I can't think of many doilies in the round that aren't upside down. Here's one that isn't:

http://www.angelfire.com/folk/celtwich/Cameogirl.html

Maybe it's a combination of the shape of the motif (the lady's skirt is wider than her head, so it makes sense to put her head in the smaller center; the flowers are wider than their stems, so the stems point to the center) and the designer's perspective (looking at a doily like a clock, you think of 12'oclock as the top, and the "upside down" motif is right-side up from that point of view).

this is just a thought while looking at the teapot doily, perhaps its so that as you are holding it up to view how to place it, that the "top of the picture-- teapot" is w/ the "top of the doily" (if hands are at the outside edge of the round...make sense cuz was my thought and still a bit confuddling to me to explain, lol)

Sandy (odd thoughts be my middle name :D)

One thing to consider with that cloth is that by putting the flowers where they are, they may be upside down but you can still see them when the table is set. If you flipped the design around on the panel (which you might be able to do and still fit it within the shape) the top daffodil would be covered by a placemat or dish - this way, when you look at the set table - you still see the lovely flowers around the edges, rather than just the gathering of stems... :think

Archived