I want to learn!

craftimama

I would love to learn how to spin and dye my own yarn, but I am clueless of where to even begin. Can someone point me in the right direction to find resources to help me get started and to learn more about the process itself? I tried searching the net for myself, but I always end up with tons of ebay links and stores, but not sites that give real information on how to spin or what materials to buy. I have tried bidding on ebay for drop spindles and rovings several times, but I'm always outbid. Surely there is a reasonably priced website or individual that I could just purchase the materials from???

I can't seem to find the basic information I need to get started.

Where could I get a drop spindle that isn't too expensive and would be easy for a beginner to figure out?? I have seen websites with so many different kinds -- but I don't know what kind is best for a beginner, or what the differences are between different spindles. What sort of fiber/rovings, etc would I need to start,and how much do I need? Where do you get your "raw'' materials? I think it would be fun to learn how to card and clean shearings, but I don't know any farmers here in NC that raise sheep and I have no clue where to get the supplies to clean it. And if you start with just shearings do you have to have a wheel for that?? I'm clueless.

Are there any books my local library might be able to get for me??

I know that's a lot of questions, but I'm really curious!

Hugs! Juli ~craftimama~

I would love to learn how to spin ...Where could I get a drop spindle that isn't too expensive and would be easy for a beginner to figure out?? I have seen websites with so many different kinds -- but I don't know what kind is best for a beginner, or what the differences are between different spindles. What sort of fiber/rovings, etc would I need to start,and how much do I need? Where do you get your "raw'' materials? I think it would be fun to learn how to card and clean shearings, but I don't know any farmers here in NC that raise sheep and I have no clue where to get the supplies to clean it. And if you start with just shearings do you have to have a wheel for that?? I'm clueless...

Hugs! Juli ~craftimama~

Me, too, Juli! I've wanted to learn to spin with a drop spindle myself but have never had the extra money to purchase one or any rovings! Maybe we can learn together. Be sure to keep us posted on what you find out and when you start spinning! I'll do the same! Blog it! You know I read your blog. :)

http://stores.ebay.com/Spinners-Choice_W0QQssPageNameZl2QQtZkm

this is where i bought my spindle.

my kit came with 2 different rovings and a book - all for a little under 30 - which i kinda thought was a deal.. the book alone at a bookstore is around 10....

***make your own drop spindle using a toy wheel

coppermoose.com is who i buy my wool for spinning from usually. it's super nice rovings - everytime!

also, try OregonTrailYarns they have GREAT prices! less than $1 per ounce... although you have to watch for SW or superwash.... they are great rovings for spinning, but will not felt ... so if that is what you are wanting.... do not buy that kind. if not - doesn't matter... great buy and rovings. sometimes i get the 'batt ends' along with a huge pile of roving with this company, but it has never mattered to me... still perfectly spinnable.

the current issue of Spin Off has a spindle tutorial in it. it's also a good web resource.

i also have pictures - not full descriptions yet - on my website....

www.ewedevil.com

here is a cheaper spindle: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=36602&item=8195271268&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW

both of these are 'high whorl' - which means the disc thing is on top. this is the way i learned, so it is easier than one with it on the bottom -to me.

some good books i have:

Spin It: Making Yarn from Scratch (included with the more expensive kit)

The Whole Craft of Spinning: From the Raw Material to the Finished Yarn

Hands on Spinning

Spinning Designer Yarns

The Spinner's Companion (another link with picture)

In Sheep's Clothing: A Handspinner's Guide to Wool i do not have this one

Yes, It's Made from My Dog's Fur!: An Owner's Guide to Harvesting Your Pet's Coat and Spinning It into Yarn i do not have this one

when you're ready to learn about color and dyeing:

Color in Spinning

a WONDERFUL web resource: I Can Spin

***Joy of hand spinning

***Handspinners

Spindlers - a yahoo group

***imo- the BEST resources are 'teaching videos' if you do not have someone around that you can learn from. Victorian Videos have terrific videos

i hope this helps a little.:D

***new resources i've added ;)

i hope this helps a little.:D

:eek Yes, that helped! A lot! :) Thank you for taking the time to type all that out and help Juli and I to find some sources for a new interest! :hug

• 3 weeks later...

I want to learn how to do this...seems so exciting to make your own yarn and then make your own creation..can someone tell me the best type of spindle to buy? How much should a beginer invest? How long does it take to become adequate?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the wealth of info rebeccav! I've always wanted to spin and dye my own, but was unable to find a class/workshop close by. Now I have a wealth of information to work my way thru.:clap

Almost Free!

This cd spindle is almost free,it just requires a dowel and a grommet, and a cup hook. I got those at the local hardware store for about a dollar. The directions on how to make one are easy to follow.

http://www.interweave.com/spin/default.asp

This link should take you to Interweave Press. If the link doesn't work just google Interweave Press and go to the spinning section.

There is also a pdf brochure on learning to spin.

Finding fiber, I sell dyed fiber on ebay, but have lots, (a roomful) of wool. Contact me if you wish.

Learning to spin is one of the best things I have ever done for myself, it keeps me sane,in yarn, and happy!

Archived