Best yarn for amigurumi?

when I make amigurumi i make them in quantity as gifts for the kids in my family so i use Red Heart Super Saver or Red heart Classic. It i inexpensive and I actually like how it "Stands Up" and is kind of stiff helps with shaping

Most amigurumi are crocheted with worsted weight yarn. Some call for sport weight or even bedspread cotton. It all depends on the pattern. If you want to make up your own pattern, you can use whatever yarn you think is best suited for the project.

Really, you can use anything you want. I prefer Caron Simply Soft because I tend to make them for babies and they're very soft.

anything and everything. :D the size of the finished critter can vary based on what weight yarn you are using and you'll want to be sure to use the smallest hook you can get away with for a particular yarn (I often do test swatches).

Bulky and chunky yarn often give me a stuffie that's 8 or more inches tall, that using the same pattern/method that with worsted weight will give me a 4 or 5 in tall critter.

I use either Red Heart Super Saver or Caron Simply Soft for my amigurumi and most of them call for either a G or F hook. Both of these hooks works well with the yarns I use.

It depends on what I'm making. I have used a lot of Red Heart, but I have also found that, depending what the animal is, novelty yarn works wonderfully well for amigurumi. Eyelash yarn is perfect for teddy bears and other fuzzy creatures, and boucle is just the best thing there is if you're making lambs or sheep!

The softer the better for me. Caron Simply Soft and Bernat Satin work really well and have good stitch definition. My newest favorite is Bernat Bamboo... oh my GOSH is that yarn soft! And it brushes up nice and fuzzy.

If I'm going to make something decorative that people don't really handle, I like to use a wool yarn and run it through the washer and dryer to "lock" it up a little. Makes it firmer.

I tend to use Red Heart Super Saver (easy to machine wash and dry with little ones and still looks great). I've used Caron Simply Soft but don't care for how it fuzzes up. Vanna's Choice works well also...and you can use pretty much whatever you want.

Archived