Bubbles baby blanket in bigger sizes?

Hello,

I am interested in making the Bubbles Baby Blanket in a size to fit a single bed (for a teenage girl at church who is soon to be going in for heart surgery). For those who have made this blanket have you made it in larger sizes or only made the baby size? Any suggestions for the beginning chain and how many skeins to buy?? I will likely use Red Heart Super Saver or maybe Caron Simply Soft for this. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I am waiting to hear back about her favorite colors and will start this soon. I need it done before the 27th of April and in general only have time to crochet in the evenings.

The average twin bed is 39" wide and 79" long. Create a chain that is at least 39" wide or you could do it length wise 79"...I would probably use a larger hook than what is called for in the pattern (sorry don't know that off the top of my head). Good luck!

You have less than 2 weeks - are you fast enough (or can you devote enough time) to get it finished in time?

Maybe you could do the pattern with 2 strands and an N hook. That would get it done in half the time. It'll make a really warm blankie too.

The average twin bed is 39" wide and 79" long. Create a chain that is at least 39" wide or you could do it length wise 79"...I would probably use a larger hook than what is called for in the pattern (sorry don't know that off the top of my head). Good luck!

Thanks :manyheart It calls for an N hook which is what I plan to use. I'll measure out the beginning chain and keep going :yes

You have less than 2 weeks - are you fast enough (or can you devote enough time) to get it finished in time?

Maybe you could do the pattern with 2 strands and an N hook. That would get it done in half the time. It'll make a really warm blankie too.

Thanks :manyheart The pattern does call for two strands together and an N hook :yay The pattern also suggests the baby size blanket takes three hours :D I do crochet quickly so time isn't a big worry for me. I plan to head out and buy the yarn tomorrow (Joann's has two Caron pounders on sale for $9) :D

I've made this, it does go fast. She calls for 14 oz. of worsted for a 27"x32" blanket.

You would need 6 times that much yarn (84 oz) for a 54"x96" blanket.

This would give you a 15" drape over the sides and 17" to tuck at the end. This is slightly too big, but I was just doing simple doubling math. If you really want a functional blanket, and not just a throw, it should bigger than just the top of the bed.

It says "Chain is worked in multiples of 3 + 2" so all you need to do is make sure you do it in multiples of 3... usually with an N hook a good adult size is about 80 stitches... so maybe chain 78 or 84 + 2. Or just keep chaining until you get to the size you want, keeping count. Then divide it by 3, keep going until it's even and add 2.

Or you can do what I do a lot because I'm not good at math :blushor like counting 160 stitches for the beginning ch row and mess up counting sometimes:blush crochet until you get the length you want, add a few extra stitches. Work the pattern the first row, yes you will have left over chains. Later you take those out (very, very carefully). It is a bit hard to take them out, but doable.

Debbi

Oh if you decide you want another quick afghan instead, LionBrand has the 5 1/2 hour afghans. Most are V-st patterns, so very fast. I did one and it took me only half a day (Quick Afghan -link). I added an edging to make it bigger, but that would be up to you since it's for a teen it might be big enough as is.

Debbi

PS; Fastest afghan to make? is another post that has a efw ideas if you need more. However, the Bubbles afghan is nice and should be quick even done larger.

I have made this blanket several times to fit cribs, roughly 40 x 32 inches.

For your information, here is what was required:

I used 4 balls of Bernat Baby Coordinate (160 gm) and used two strands ( a colored strand, and a white strand) with a #8.0 mm hook i.e L hook, and the blanket was made very quickly.

It really works up beautifully.

Thanks for all the suggestions :hug I decided to go with the Lion Brand 5 1/2 hour throw using only two strands of yarn (Caron pounders in white and sky blue) and a 10mm hook. I timed myself on a row and took 4 minutes. The entire blanket took 4 1/2 hours :yay Here it is:

th_DSC08337.jpg

I took it to church on Sunday and gave it to the lady collecting items for the care package. The girl whom this package was for was in church on Sunday and the blanket was given to her right away. She loved it (and so did her Mom). Makes me happy to make other people happy!

Archived