bamboo or wood hooks?

I was wondering about the bamboo and wooden hooks? I'm happy enough with the metal Susan Bates Hooks, but I hate the crystallites in the sizes LMNP. Are there wooden hooks out there in those sizes that work well? Or bamboo? Or do they snag? Any advice/point in the right direction would be greatly appreciated!! Thanks!!

Pam

There are many of us here who really love the TOTC wooden hooks. I have not had trouble with them snagging, though it is different than working with aluminum hooks for sure.

I have a few Clover bamboo hooks and I don't like them much (funny since I love the Clover bamboo knitting needles) because they are Bates-shaped, which means they might be great for you. They don't snag at all either and are very smooth.

I have bamboo, Brittany, TOTC, aluminum, and Crystallites (includes all plastics) so here's my take on each:

Bamboo - too slick, they slide to easily around the yarn and weight is too light, I also find that although the hook is sized correctly, the handles seem really thin to me so you can't get a good grip

Brittany - love my Brittany's and very pleased with them

TOTC - just got recently and have used them a couple of times, so far very pleased with them and no complaints

Crystallites - definately pretty & stand out but I'm not a big plastic fan, plastic seems to stick in places

Aluminums - depending on the brand....Susan Bates I think are the best and these are my every day hooks....I'll reach for an aluminum just out of habit, I'm most comfortable with them, love their weight, hooks don't snag, and they slide perfectly with yarn or thread

Keep in mind Brittany's & TOTC's will cost you! Now remember, this is just my personal opinion.

I prefer wooden hooks. I like the little bit of added weight.

My favorite hooks came from Ozarktwist on Ebay (just search for "ozarktwist" and all of his stuff will come up). They are just perfection!

I also have a Brittany that is very nice.

I have a few Brittany hooks and I love them. The only problem is that I don't think they offer sizes N & P. You'd have to look elsewhere for them. TOTC has those sizes I think.

I have Bamboo and Brittany hooks.

I :drool LOVE my Bamboo Hooks. I also have a wooden "L" hook, but I don't know who made it (pawpaw on ebay?) - it was a Christmas gift last year.

Anyway - I like the Brittany hooks, sorta. I don't like that the decorative bottom rubs against my hands while I'm working. :angry

As for aluminum... I don't care for Bates hooks at ALL! I'm a Boye fan ;)

Which of the hooks are most like the Bates hooks?

I find the Clover bamboo hooks to be shaped like Bates hooks.

I picked up a Clover bamboo size K hook to try it out. I'd like to get a feel for that, and if I like it, I'll try the Brittany hooks. Thanks!

Pam

I have the entire set and love them. In fact I moved in March and didn't bother unpacking the few aluminum ones I had. Obviously if you are a thready you can't use wooden ones but for the rest of us they are really quite nice. Metallic threads can scratch them though. TOTC is great to deal with and I was ordering from Germany.

Their sizes are Boye but are shaped between the two types.

Rachel

I own a set of Brittany wooden hooks I love and own one Clover Bamboo I also like to use. I prefer the wood over the crystallites and the aluminum. I never tried TOTC (would love to), but prefer Bates inline shape to Boye

I have a set of bamboo hooks by Crystal Palace. They come in sizes D-L. I love them except that they are round all the way up so, with the larger hooks, if Im not paying attention or holding on tight enough, the hook turns on me. They would be perfect if they had some contour in the middle or texture for grip & positioning.

Angie

Archived