Substituting Worsted for Sport... Yardage change??

I'm working on creating a pattern for a sweater that is made out of sportweight. Because it's made of squares, I was thinking of the larger size being made out of worsted weight (it all depends once I see the size difference between the squares). But it all brings me to a question...

Using worsted weight will mean using more yarn, right? Is there a general rule as to how much more? Or anywhere I can find out? :think Thanks for your help- you all are always so helpful!! :hug

ok personally I don't like ww for clothing cause it gets very very heavy. But if you do go that way then the yardage may not change that much because you will have to change the gauge because if you don't and use the ww with the same gauge then the item will be very very uncomfortable more than likely. The larger yarn will not be as drapey as the sport weight will with the same gauge. so there is my 2 cents worth but other may have more to help you in this one.

I know not everyone is a fan of making swatches and crochet math, but what I would do is make a 4-6 inch swatch of both yarns in the desired hook for each, unravel them and measure the difference to get a rough idea of the % difference in yardage needed to cover the same real estate in each weight.

That is an awesome suggestion Granny Square. I have also been wondering how to figure out how much more/less yarn I would need if I choose different type of yarn. Thank you!!

I would think you would need more, because the yarn is thicker and would make whatever you are making bigger.

I would try the swatch method, just to be sure.

And probably buy an extra skein, just in case. You can always take it back if you save the receipt.

Good luck.

:manyheart

Why I always jump straight to the most difficult option is always beyond me... :think

After reading the posts and thinking for a bit, it hit me- DUH, just make the squares a few rounds bigger for the bigger size. So I used Granny Square's advice, did a regular square, measured it, did a larger square, measured it, and have figured out the yardage for both.

Thanks for everybody's suggestions, and hopefully I'll have pics up in the show & tell soon, and a pattern up on my Etsy shortly after. :)

I'm glad to hear you're getting it worked out! :) Just another thing... Just as a person who makes things out of worsted a lot, when you write the pattern, go ahead and put what brand that you used in the picture. I say this, because I've noticed that Caron SS, Red Heart SS, and Caron Regular (can't remember the name...), are small, medium, and thick to me, even though they all say worsted weight. Caron SS is almost a sport weight imo, and I often use it for baby items. :) Anyway, just an idea, take it and use it, or ball it up and toss it. Can't wait to see the finished item!

Victoria

Archived