Teach Crochet at library

I called the local library about teach classes there once a week. She told me that I wouldn't be able to start teach until the fall or winter months, because she didn't feel that many would show up for classes with the weather starting to get nice. She felt that people only want to crochet during the winter.

What are other peoples thoughts on this? I don't think that is right, I like to crochet all year long, I don't need the cold weather to make me sit down and hook some yarn, do you??

Any suggestions on how I could maybe create some Summer Camp Classes at my other library? How much do you think I should charge? Its a rural area, do you think I would get many to attend? Should I just have one summer camp or a couple. I need to make some money, I can't stand being unemployed for this long, its driving me crazy!!! (Going on 2.5yrs now)

I crochet all year long but I feel that as far as classes go, you WILL have a better turnout in the cooler months. In the warmer months, ppl can always find something to do outside. JMHO

Maybe you could teach a couple of classes to kids that are out of school for the summer. Personally, I crochet any time of the year. The only catch to teaching at the library would be, I would think anyway, that the cost would have to be very minimal. The programs at our local library are free.

It's a good idea to have a summer camp type thing for kids, but make sure you check on requirements. You may be required to have a certain adult to children ratio.

Maybe you could teach a couple of classes to kids that are out of school for the summer. Personally, I crochet any time of the year. The only catch to teaching at the library would be, I would think anyway, that the cost would have to be very minimal. The programs at our local library are free.

At the library I was looking into, they would pay me $20 for one hour session and they class would be free to those attending.

I have seen summer camps listed on the internet but I am just not sure how the turn out would be. I have even contacted the local YMCA about teaching crafts but I never get a return reply. I just might have to break down and call them up instead.

• 2 weeks later...
do you have a Michael's around? They offer classes and are always looking for new teachers.

Not anymore they don't. Michael's has cancelled all of its classes, except Wilton, effective April 7. They let all the teachers go (I was one of them). :(

I personally could crochet all the time. However, living in SW GA it DOES tend to get a little on the, um, warmer side. It gets so hot that you don't want to wear clothes, let alone play with yarn. The cooler months keep me going because I am trying to stay warm. I think you will do better in cooler months, when people's vacation lives have calmed down.

I too crochet year-round, tho' I do prefer to do heavy projects(afghans,etc.) during the cooler months. Since most places are air conditioned these days heat really shouldn't be much of an issue. A workshop or classes for kids (and adults) at the library sounds like a great idea. (might counteract the 'I'm bored' syndrome) They could make little bags for their i-pods, scarf, wrist-warmers, and other quick and easy projects. I don't think your librarian is a crocheter ;)

Don't know if they pay but do you have girl scouts in your area? Summer camp is coming... Are you a church-goer? Maybe your church (or anyone else's) would like a teacher for their summer programs. This would be something different from the usual 'art and crafts' everyone offers... Some schools have summer programs too, you never know!

I think your idea of direct contact is best too, maybe take some of the completed projects you have in mind to show them. Nothing like seeing some cute beautifully colored item to reel them in! Go for it!

Archived