Shawler CAL

I have only used Homespun so far and it is the first time I have used it and stuck with it lol. I only got it cuz it was on sale as well. As far as other yarns go Zoe has used a variety of different ones, and then someone else in here has used acrylic so I think it will work out fine might need to add rows.

Thanks! I'm thinking Homespun because I really like the colors. I just want to make sure I get this right because it's the first wearable pattern I have ever really liked.

• Replies 824
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I know a lot of people don't like Homespun because of the texture? but if you give it a chance and use at least a size K hook, I think you'll like it. I've also made Shawlers with Lion Brand Wool-ease and Plymouth Boku (wool), both worsted weight yarns. If you want cotton, I would suggest a cotton blend, such as Red Heart Carefree Cotton. If you used 100% cotton, like Sugar & Cream, it would be too heavy IMO. Of course, it's a matter of personal choice. :hook Actually, any yarn will work, but the thinner the yarn, the more rows you'll have to do to get the size you want. Also, if you use a ww or lighter, you'll want to start with 40 dc instead of 30, and then make the increases spaced apart appropriately.

I know a lot of people don't like Homespun because of the texture? but if you give it a chance and use at least a size K hook, I think you'll like it. I've also made Shawlers with Lion Brand Wool-ease and Plymouth Boku (wool), both worsted weight yarns. If you want cotton, I would suggest a cotton blend, such as Red Heart Carefree Cotton. If you used 100% cotton, like Sugar & Cream, it would be too heavy IMO. Of course, it's a matter of personal choice. :hook Actually, any yarn will work, but the thinner the yarn, the more rows you'll have to do to get the size you want. Also, if you use a ww or lighter, you'll want to start with 40 dc instead of 30, and then make the increases spaced apart appropriately.

If I were to use 100% cotton I'd be pretty absorbant, wouldn't I?:rofl Thanks for the help! Now it's on to picking out the yarn and well I guess I should probably buy the pattern too huh? LOL

If I were to use 100% cotton I'd be pretty absorbant, wouldn't I?:rofl Thanks for the help! Now it's on to picking out the yarn and well I guess I should probably buy the pattern too huh? LOL

Well, you already know it starts with 30 dc - can't you figure out the rest without the pattern??? :lol If you made it with 100% cotton, you could use it as a wearable bath towel!

I really like that Carefree Cotton, but it does't come in very many colors, at least not from what I saw at Michael's. But I love the feel and look of it.

I just sent it to you! Your secret's safe with me, and I'm sure nobody here will tell.... we crocheters have to stick together. :devil

Hehehe Thanks! He walked into the room about the time I posted that message. He said "Whatcha doin?" I said "Oh just posting something to that crochet board." :laughroll

What color did you get???? :hyper:drool

I have a Pug on my lap so I can't check the label, must not disturb the Pug :lol I think it was Sierria. It was the only color they had 7 skeins of:( I am so excited to get it started and I got an awesome carved button for it...I am making this one for ME:yes

That's what I used for my very first one!! It's a lot of beige/gold/tan - ish colors.... my 2nd one was Quartz (in the pic on the pattern). My first one, I didn't even take pictures of - it was a prototype, and I didn't like it too well, although it's wearable - it just wasn't the shape I wanted. Anyways... the rest is history... lol

Yes, must not disturb the fur baby. :lol They don't appreciate that one bit! They usually groan and moan when disturbed. :rolleyes

That's what I used for my very first one!! It's a lot of beige/gold/tan - ish colors....

Yes, must not disturb the fur baby. :lol They don't appreciate that one bit! They usually groan and moan when disturbed. :rolleyes

Lol, moved the Pug, I needed more coffee;) Yes it is the Sierra, got my hook in hand....looks like I won't accomplish much today other than working on my Shawler:lol What a great way to wind down my vacation!

I went on my yarn hunt the other day and decided I didn't want to spend that much on yarn that I had never worked with to do a pattern like I had never done before. So, I found some cheap on ebay. There is just enough for the shawler, they are different colors but coordinating.

So, now here I sit, twiddling my thumbs waiting on my yarn to be shipped. :(

One side down!!!!! I have to say I am really liking the Homespun. I will be on the hunt for it when it is on sale. I was hesitant to spend that much on yarn, but hubby convinced me to since it is for me! :)

what a good husband!! :lol

Hi Shelle and everyone! I haven't posted on here in a while...I'm getting ready to make my second Shawler for the Fall, just need to decide on which yarn. (trying to use yarn I already own....) I only got to wear my first Shawler once before it got too hot out but I got lots of compliments on it from ladies at the food store!

I'll let you know once I pick out my yarn...

Woohoo!!! I got my yarn today!! :cheer

I have it here with me and I am about to start the shawler. :yay

My daughter had a doctor's appointment the other day in the town about 40 miles from me. We decided to go to Wal Mart there and see what yarn they have. I was floored. They actually have a good selection and Homespun is among them and it's not that expensive.

Once I figure out I can make this shawler out of the scrap homespun I bought, I can just get the yarn for the real one I want there! I don't have to travel a million miles to get it now. :clap

• 2 weeks later...

Is it too late to join this cal?

also, how much of those 6 skeins of homespun yarn did you use? I checked out the yardage, nad it was 1110 yards for the 6 skeins.

I have a Bernat Soft Boucle that I have 4 skeins, and the yardage would be 1020. Do you think that would be enough yarn? It is a #5, bulky it says.

Patty

Well now that the games are over I finally started my shawler Im doing it in Bernat Soft Boucle West Point Shades (varigated blue and gold) I have one side almost done. :hook

Maryann,

How many skeins do you have for this shawler? I just ordered my pattern. I already have 4 skeins of the Bernat soft Boucle, hope it will be enough.

Patty

Is it too late to join this cal?

also, how much of those 6 skeins of homespun yarn did you use? I checked out the yardage, nad it was 1110 yards for the 6 skeins.

I have a Bernat Soft Boucle that I have 4 skeins, and the yardage would be 1020. Do you think that would be enough yarn? It is a #5, bulky it says.

Patty

I actually used about 6 1/2 skeins of homespun.

Archived