Shawler CAL

• Replies 824
  • Created
  • Last Reply
How many skeins of Homespun does it take to make the Shawler pattern as written and what size hook is recommended?

Thanks!

I used a K hook and it took me a good 7 skeins. I had to add extra rows as I'm 5' 8 1/2". I added around 4 extra rows.

(referring to post # 502) Thanks! That should be very helpful. Do you have your settings on 20 or 40, or whatever, posts per page? Mine's on 40 I think. So the page numbers might be different for different people... I don't know.... :hug thanks again for your help.

Shelle,

I wasn't kidding that I spent my week in the hospital working on my Shawler! My friend just emailed me some pics off her phone that she forgot she had.

It's a terrible pic of me I know, but see what's in my lap? Yep, my Barrington Homespun Shawler! LOL. You know how darn proud I am of my first wearable to share a pic of me looking like this! You designed one heck of a pattern and I don't know that there is any better out there! Thanks so much for making this available for everyone.

KeeshaHospitalMay08-5.jpg

KeeshaHospitalMay08-2.jpg

Hey ladies! Welcome to the new members of this cal! Shelle you are so helpful...thanks again!

Well, this was an interesting weekend....with me ending up giving my own Shawler away! And now I have to make at least two more, one for me and one for sons gf!

My first one, I must have crocheted very loosely. I used 5 skeins of yarn because I am shorter and no boobs, so I figured any others I did after that would use the same amount. Thank God I used the 'ol noggin and bought 6 skeins of each color for the next three I did. I used almost 6 skeins for each of them and crocheted them to the same size as my first. As I get used to a pattern, my tension tightens up for some reason. Anyway, I ended up giving my shawler to my Mom, the looser tension made it fit her better than the one I originally made for her. So the one I made for her I gave to one of my other sisters. Five years ago she suffered from a brain aneurysm and isn't very active anymore so she gets cold easily and her husband was really eyeing the shawlers I made for my Mom and my other sister, so I asked if he thought she needed one or would use it. LOL...he said she doesn't need anything but I know we would use it! So she got the fourth one I made and she just sat their smiling and hugging it! It was cute! Here I thought I was done making them for awhile and now I don't even have one! Guess I will have to get busy again! And I forgot to take a pic of the fourth one I got done...but it is made with Homespun in Tudor color.

Can't wait to see some more pics of everyone else's!

keesha...looks like we posted close to the same time! I think for what you have been through...you look absolutely beautiful! I am going to finish reading your blog tonight when I have more time! Take care and good luck with that shawler

That's awesome! I can't control my body temperature either b/c of my brain surgeries and the Shawler is just fabulous since I can control the sleeves and hood, unlike the other sweaters and shawls out there.

I used the color Barrington for mine (dark purples with flecks of other colors), but the next one I do will be in Tudor also.

That's awesome! I can't control my body temperature either b/c of my brain surgeries and the Shawler is just fabulous since I can control the sleeves and hood, unlike the other sweaters and shawls out there.

I used the color Barrington for mine (dark purples with flecks of other colors), but the next one I do will be in Tudor also.

I liked the Tudor, but....out of 6 skeins all marked with the same dyelot and actually all the numbers and markings were identical on the wrappers of each skein.....I didn't have two skeins that were exactly alike and there was one skein that had a large section that was a peach color that I couldn't use, there was only that one section in the whole skein that was peach and none of the other skeins had that much peach in them. They were all close enough that they still looked good together, but if you look closely you can definitely tell none of them match the other. I don't think I will be using that color again. I wonder if anyone else has ever had this problem with that colorway?

Yes! The Tudor one I made was the same way. No two were alike. I was with my friend when she bought the yarn, and we were very careful to buy all the same dye lot numbers. Well, a lot of good that did! They were all obviously different. Some were bright & vivid, and others were duller and more muted, softer shades. And one had a whole bunch of PINK in it! Oh well, she liked it anyway.

Keesha, I'm with Theresa - you look absolutely beautiful with that big smile on your face. What a trooper! Was the surgery a success - did they accomplish what they wanted to do? I sure hope so! :hug God bless you!

Yes! The Tudor one I made was the same way. No two were alike. I was with my friend when she bought the yarn, and we were very careful to buy all the same dye lot numbers. Well, a lot of good that did! They were all obviously different. Some were bright & vivid, and others were duller and more muted, softer shades. And one had a whole bunch of PINK in it! Oh well, she liked it anyway.

As long as she liked it and like I said before they did all really look good together! In your picture, I think that is with the Tudor....I couldn't tell any difference and I kept looking at it as I was doing mine!

Well, if you saw it in person you'd see the difference. You can tell right where I started a new skein. But only someone 'in the know' would notice it. Sandy didn't notice it until I pointed it out to her. Oh well. Several HS colorsways are like that. :(

Hi Everyone,

I am almost done, I finished my cuffs thanks to Shelle's tutorial and now I can not find the post that Shelle put the collar pattern on. I do not want to do the hood, I would rather do the collar she gave us....Did anyone print it out so they know the Post Number....Shelle do you print them out for future reference???

Will show a picture soon.:hug

Hi Everyone,

I am almost done, I finished my cuffs thanks to Shelle's tutorial and now I can not find the post that Shelle put the collar pattern on. I do not want to do the hood, I would rather do the collar she gave us....Did anyone print it out so they know the Post Number....Shelle do you print them out for future reference???

Try post #250, I think that's it.

Hi Everyone,

Nope, I didn't print it out. But I am thinking about including the tutorials with the pattern from now on in case someone needs it.

I know it must be somewhere after post #178, cause I went thru them all up to there, looking for the cuffs tutorial. :hook

Keesha, I'm with Theresa - you look absolutely beautiful with that big smile on your face. What a trooper! Was the surgery a success - did they accomplish what they wanted to do? I sure hope so! :hug God bless you!

Hi Shell. I went to your site and I can't seem to find your pattern for the shawler. Am i ot looking in the right place?

Nope, I didn't print it out. But I am thinking about including the tutorials with the pattern from now on in case someone needs it.

I know it must be somewhere after post #178, cause I went thru them all up to there, looking for the cuffs tutorial. :hook

Hi Shell it's me agin :-) I went to your esty and the shawler is not there. Is it not avaliable anymore? I sure hope i didn't miss out on getting it. The ladies has made some very pretty ones. Hope to here from you soon. Thankyou.

Hi Shell it's me agin :-) I went to your esty and the shawler is not there. Is it not avaliable anymore? I sure hope i didn't miss out on getting it. The ladies has made some very pretty ones. Hope to here from you soon. Thankyou.

I'm not Shelle, but the link to buy the pattern is in the first link of her siggy. It's the bravehost dot com one. Hope this helps.....you might have to scroll down a little to see it.

who!! hoo!! I found it. I bought it and can't wait for it to get here :) Thankyou

I'm not Shelle, but the link to buy the pattern is in the first link of her siggy. It's the bravehost dot com one. Hope this helps.....you might have to scroll down a little to see it.

H i Thery4,

Thankyou for the info I found it !! :) can you tell me if that is sent to me in my e-mail?

I'm so excited hehehehe.

H i Thery4,

Thankyou for the info I found it !! :) can you tell me if that is sent to me in my e-mail?

I'm so excited hehehehe.

Yes, you'll get it in your email! LOL...can't wait to see yours when it is done! Shelle is very good about getting them out to you as soon as she checks her email. I don't know what her schedule is, but just be patient...I bet you will have it soon!

What yarn are you going to use for yours?

Yes, you'll get it in your email! LOL...can't wait to see yours when it is done! Shelle is very good about getting them out to you as soon as she checks her email. I don't know what her schedule is, but just be patient...I bet you will have it soon!

I was thinking of useing the Love This Yarn from Hobby Lobby. What do you think? It would be very soft. I gots to go shopping for yarn now weeee!!!!!! lolol I may change my mind once i get there lol

oops i posted on my own post duh lolol I told you I was excited lol I'm thinking about the Love This Yarn from Hobby Lobby. It would be very soft , what do you think? WEll now i need to go shopping. I may change my mind once i get there lol. Thankyou for your help. I seen in here that there were some tutorials for the cuffs and collar, It says they are in post 250 but the CAl only go's to 53 as of now. Humm

oops i posted on my own post duh lolol I told you I was excited lol I'm thinking about the Love This Yarn from Hobby Lobby. It would be very soft , what do you think? WEll now i need to go shopping. I may change my mind once i get there lol. Thankyou for your help. I seen in here that there were some tutorials for the cuffs and collar, It says they are in post 250 but the CAl only go's to 53 as of now. Humm

Your yarn choice sounds great and don't change your mind...just buy more! That way you can make another one as soon as you are done with the first one!

Post # 250 is correct....I think you are looking at the PAGE numbers... I think the post numbers are on the upper right corner of each post. LOL...you ARE a LITTLE excited, aren't you!

Archived