simple, tri-fold case for stitch markers

Momcrochets

(Since discovering that I could actually make a few fancy stitchmarkers (yikes, new craft medium), I soon decided they needed a nice home. I've made one for myself in offwhite with a rosy pink button. Last fall I gave one to my holiday swap buddy (:hi) and now I've given one to another friend (:hi). That third one is the one in this picture. Now that she has it, I'm posting pictures and directions so you can make one too)

P1010749.jpg

(sorry about the blurry spot...bad camera)

and open:

P1010750.jpg

This pattern has not been tested by anyone except me (3 times). But it's a fairly basic pattern, and would be easy enough to improvise with your favorite stitches for the end panels.

I used a Sinfonia cotton (they call it sport weight, but I think it works closer to a fine ww) and a 4.5mm (G) hook. You should be able to use any cotton or acrylic (or combo) that works with a 4.5mm (G) hook...ww, fine ww, sport...whatever works for you. You could use the WW cottons too, but then I'd go up at least one hook size. (Unless you work really loosely) Gauge really doesn't matter for this project.

1. Chain 15.

2. Sc in 2nd ch from hook. Dc in next ch. *sc in next ch, dc in next ch. Repeat from * across. (14 sts) (as you can guess, we're working in the up&down st, aka crumple st, aka moss st)

3. Ch 1, turn. Sc in first st, dc in next st. Repeat across.

4. Repeat last step for a total of 10 rows.

5. Ch 1, turn. Sc in each st across.

6. Repeat last step for 14 rows.

7. Ch 1, turn. Sc in first st, dc in next...sc in next st, dc in next st, across.

8. Repeat last step for 9 more rows (total of ten).

9. Ch 1, working around outside edges, do NOT turn, but work rsc (crab st) evenly around. When you reach the center of one short end, chain 5, and continue on in rsc (crab st) This will form the button loop. When you reach the beg rsc, FO. Weave in tails.

10. Find a button that you like. Fold the case in thirds, and sew the button to the outside, opposite the button loop. Place your special stitchmarkers in the sc section, using the stitches themselves to hold your makers.

Enjoy.

Archived