Anyone else having problems accessing About.com today?

I was trying to get into the crochet forum on About.com and the stupid page wouldnt load. So, after about 5 or 10 minutes of trying, I closed the browser.

When I closed the browser, all of a sudden I had about 150 or more browser pages pop open for the same site...if I tried to close one of the browsers, I'd get 5 or 10 more popping open. Then suddenly, it just quit...and I was left with a browser page saying that "page cannot be displayed".

Really weird. I know they "upgraded" the forums last week, so I'm wondering if someone on their "design team" was trying to tweak something today and broke the forums. either that or my computer was having a brain fart.

Anyone else having the same problem today??

I'm guessing then, that it was my wireless internet connection. I had cleared my cache, and rebooted the computer, and when it came back up, it couldnt connect to my wireless internet.

Switched computers, and my other computer was giving me the same message. Shut down both computers several times and tried to repair the connections...wasnt having any luck until the system just apparently let them both reconnect.

So, I guess it was a wireless router brain fart and not a computer brain fart. (I'd rebooted the entire system about 4 times before things finally got better)

I think we will be upgrading to a new wireless router/cable modem pretty soon. (right now the router is separate from the cable modem)

technology sucks when it doesnt want to work right, which is apparently fairly common in my neighborhood. (neighbors keep asking me if I know how to fix their wireless internets...I dont, I just reboot everything till stuff comes back)

I got in fine too. Probably a problem with your router. Mine was older, and I was having the same type of problems you are. When my dd said she was buying a laptop, I told her to pick up a new router too. That solved the problem, plus it was much easier to install than the older Microsoft router I had before. The new one is a Dynex from Best Buy.

I thought we'd bought a new router, but I think this one is about 5yrs old. It's the cable modem that's new. We bought it from the cable company last August. Hopefully my dad didnt pay too much for it, if we decide to upgrade to a modem/wifi router combination soon.

Good thing I've got myself a boyfriend now who knows how to hook this stuff up. I was getting tired of paying people $100/hr to set up networks everytime we changed things. Now all we have to do is feed my boyfriend and he'll do things like fix computers, move furniture around...things like that. :D

Archived