The cottage bag that is haunting me!!

Piperdanai

I saw this free pattern last week and I am absolutely DYING to do it!!! It's a cottage bag seen here (although you have to sign up for a free membership or have a Bernat membership to see it). I'm going to go pick up the yarn today. Anyone want to join me??????? ;):lol

that is really cute! perfect for spring. i think i have a cone of sugar and cream cotton yarn. I will look and I'm in!:c9

That's really cute! I would love to make one!

Kim

YAY!! :clap I did get some yarn today and got hot green. . .then decided that maybe the side panels and handles could be made in summer splash. Yes, bright and vibrant, but I want to use it as a doula bag and the one I'm using right now is BRIGHT PINK! LOL People always know who I am when we're meeting for the first time ;)

I have some cotton yarn but I'm pretty sure I'm going to need more. I'm going to do mine in bright colors too but I'm thinking I'd like to make it in turquoise blue and yellow! I should be able to get the yarn by the weekend.

Kim

piper I hope you don't mind but what is a doula bag?

I don't mind at all! :) I am a birth doula and I like to carry a bag that is bigger than an "average" sized purse that can hold my billfold, keys, phone, client's folders, snacks, parking stickers, other misc doula supplies. And I like it BRIGHT so that when I meet with potential clients, I can say, you'll be the pregnant one and I'll be the one with the BRIGHT *insert color* bag :) That way there's no confusion :D

Hi I would like to make this bag. I order some double worsted weight cotton yarn from peaches & creme in varigated spring colors. I have to wait until my yarn is delivered before I can start. :eek I haven't been part of a CAL for a couple of months so this should be fun. Hugs

I started this about 2 wks ago, finished all 4 pieces and now have the bottom to do. I used sugar N cream, and wanted to use the new stripe yarn in the bright greens and white but when I went to buy the yarn they didn't have enough of the stripe, so I got 8 of the stripe yarn and 8 of the regular "variegated greens and white", so I did the side panels with the stripe and the front and back (which to me seems would be called the ends) with the variegated. I should have gotten a solid instead of the variegated but it's done so I have to stick with it. There isn't enough of a difference in how the variegated and stripe looks to make it "stand out" so I hope it doesn't look odd -- has anyone started putting it together yet, would love to see some pictures.

I actually started another one tonight with some cotton yarn I had for several years called Jamaica - in turquoise, orange and fuschia, with some browns and purple. I may do the side panels in a brown, not sure, but I think I will put a solid with it since these colors are so bright.

Really, after working on the babette and working on this bag is killing my hand, I think it's the heavy cotton yarn that's doing it. Have fun, I can't wait to see all the bags.

I started this about 2 wks ago, finished all 4 pieces and now have the bottom to do. I used sugar N cream, and wanted to use the new stripe yarn in the bright greens and white but when I went to buy the yarn they didn't have enough of the stripe, so I got 8 of the stripe yarn and 8 of the regular "variegated greens and white", so I did the side panels with the stripe and the front and back (which to me seems would be called the ends) with the variegated. I should have gotten a solid instead of the variegated but it's done so I have to stick with it. There isn't enough of a difference in how the variegated and stripe looks to make it "stand out" so I hope it doesn't look odd -- has anyone started putting it together yet, would love to see some pictures.

I actually started another one tonight with some cotton yarn I had for several years called Jamaica - in turquoise, orange and fuschia, with some browns and purple. I may do the side panels in a brown, not sure, but I think I will put a solid with it since these colors are so bright.

Really, after working on the babette and working on this bag is killing my hand, I think it's the heavy cotton yarn that's doing it. Have fun, I can't wait to see all the bags.

I thought the "sides" should be called the front and back too!! LOL I'm doing the front and back in the green and the actual sides a bit smaller than they call for and in the summer splash.

And I am SOOOOOOOO with you on my hand hurting. I've never worked with a yarn like this and OUCH! :eek

How funny! I am making this bag NOW! LOL! I just have the bottom and handles to do, then I am done! I did not use the Sugar & Cream they suggest, I used a tan (boring!!) that I had soooo much extra of. I think I'm going to love it though! I'm thinking of taking some fancy fur or eyelash and doing a couple of rows at the top, just to "spice" it up a bit!

How funny! I am making this bag NOW! LOL! I just have the bottom and handles to do, then I am done! I did not use the Sugar & Cream they suggest, I used a tan (boring!!) that I had soooo much extra of. I think I'm going to love it though! I'm thinking of taking some fancy fur or eyelash and doing a couple of rows at the top, just to "spice" it up a bit!

Oooohh!! Like the idea of something fancy at the top! Can't wait to see how it turns out!!

well I finished all my pieces except for the handles --- I am meeting my "crocheting-knitting" buddy tomorrow for coffee and hopefully she will have all her sides and bottom finished and we are going to put this thing together. Dummy me didn't read my instructions thoroughly and I tied off my base but I am sure I can do a slip stitch and join my yarn on ok -- I have already got 8 inches done on another one with the multi-color yarn I was talking about in my previous post -- I will try to put some pictures on when I get these finished if I can remember how to do that --- I would love to see some of your pictures ---- hope everyone has a great night :cheer

ohh - I also would love to find some leather handles to use instead of the crocheted handles, with this bright green I would love to find some green leather -- I am sure some of you have done this but I love going to TJ Maxx and Marshalls and look at their lady's belts they have on sale, you can usually take a belt and cut in half to make 2 handles for a purse. I remember last year I did the felted knitted bag in vogue that has the cut out felted flowers on the front, I really hate the felted handles so I went to TJ MAXX and in the men's dept found a gray leather belt trimmed in red, which was perfect becuase my bag was red. I was able to get the XXL belt and my husband cut in half in his shop and then he poked 4 holes at each end and I then sewed the straps to the outside with yarn going through the holes - since I had the extra long straps, it has made me a good shoulder bag ---

I started this bag last night. It really does work up fast. It will make a good mindless portable project for me. I am using denim stripes sugar and cream yarn. I am about half way done with the front. Can't wait to see some pictures!

OK guys, I am put out !! I finished it and it is HUGE:eek

I think I could put my 2 dachshunds, my daughter's dachshund and her 2 cats in it and there would still be room !!! I know in one of the pictures it shows 3 bath towels and flowers and another picture I saw, had grocery stuff in it, couple loaves french bread, etc. so may be I will give it to my daughter who lives in NY and she use for her market bag, I am sure she could get 3 bags of groceries in it easily === I may try to decrease the # I chain on and how deep I make it, may be chain on 25 and only crochet it to 12 inches instead of 15 --- thank goodness I used sugar N cream, even with that I have $25 --- what does everyone else think ? did your bag turn out big also???

Archived