Hope In Every Stitch-helping Denver Children's Home

maddeleine4

Hello fellow Crocheters!

I am starting a new charitable organization called Hope in Every Stitch.

There will be 2 goals I'm asking for help with here on Crochetville.

Completed Hope Blankets-

We ask that you use soft baby yarns and are aiming for 2 sizes. Either 30″ x 30″ or 45″x45″. These will be going to Family to Family which is part of Denver Children's Home.This part of DCH

helps the children and families in the East Denver area with essential

needs such as clothing, food, housing, support, etc. These families

often have small children that would love to have a soft afghan to hold

and keep them warm.

Afghans of Hope-

6 inch squares for blankets for young child up to teenager

We are asking for worsted weight yarn and prefer acrylic.Would prefer each square be all girl colors or all boy colors. These will be used and loved a lot so please no blacks/whites. Our first donation site will be Denver Children's Home.

The kids that live at Denver Children's Home (DCH) are ages 10 thru 18.The kids are placed here by the State due to abuse or neglect in theirhomes. We provide a safe place for them to grow and provide therapyprograms for them and their families. The kids stay with us usuallyfrom 3 mos to 9mos. We have the capacity to accommodate up to 40 kids.16 girls and 24 boys. We currently have 35 kids living here.My goal for DCH is 45 afghans! Can you please help?

If you are interested in helping any of our worthy causes, you may mail squares, shawls, and blankets to our address below.

Hope In Every Stitch

P.O. Box 832

Ames, IA 50010-0832

If you have the time, I would really love help with these worthy causes.

We have also set up a blog at the link below until our website is ready.

http://hopeineverystitch.org/blog

Thank you to everyone who has expressed interest so far in this project. We are currently working at the last details on where all of these items will go and exactly how many they are needing. I will update as soon as I know more. Thank you for your patience!

Esther, I need to know if you're up for "whimsical" squares. I like making and working with oddball squares, but I know not everyone does. Please tell me your druthers.

Most often I make granny squares, and when I run out of one color I finish the square off with a complimentary color. Also, I have some RH Strata that makes interesting granny squares. When you get my first box, you'll be able to tell me if everything is to your liking. Thanks for the address! Mary

Thank you so much Mary for all of your help. I think its also really cool that you aren't very far from me.

I am currently waiting to hear back from the Children's Home I have contacted. As soon as they get back to me I'll be able to post the details!!

What is the size of the complete ghan needed for the older children

All I read was that 6" squares were needed - if I were to donate a complete ghan I would like to make sure it meets the size requirements

Also if 6" squares are being sent.....are the ends to be woven in??

Thanks for the information :hook

Esther, my box is about half full. I'm having so much fun assembling squares for you. Do you still want 12" squares?

It's great you worked out an arrangement with the Denver home. I know it can take a bit of doing to coordinate with agencies.

Hi Mary,

I would love to still have 12 inch squares. I'm still going to be working on lap ghans for seniors as a side project. 2008 is the 5 year anniversary of both of my parents passing away. Needless to say, having something to focus on has been a Godsend for me. And in a small way me taking up crochet the last year and a half has lessened the loss and helped me find some of the joy. I really appreciate the support I have received so far for this project and hope its reach will be great.

:hug Things like this really can help. A few years ago I was very sad. I prayed and asked God to send me something. Then the newspaper said there would be a charity quilting project at my old college. Well, I got excited about that, enjoyed it, and had some happy memories afterwards.

• 4 weeks later...

Esther, my box is almost ready. I took some squares out for an afghan for a gal here who is going through a rough time. Because of health problems, she missed her week at Camp Courageous. Anyway, I thought you would understand. How are things going?

I probably have close to 100 squares in various stages of completion. My husband is suffering from a so far undiagnosed illness which has been taken up a lot of my time lately. I've talked to a few local crochet groups and hopefully they will want to help as I haven't received any yet other than you.

I've reached a milestone with my 6" by 9" project, so this would be a good time for me to refocus on your project. I hope your husband gets better. My husband had thyroid troubles for a long time, finally got it zapped and got on medication. So I know that it can be hard when something like that happens.

The box should be there on Wednesday.

PineKnott, you can join the fun also! It will be fun to do something with you again.

Archived