anatomy of a babbette/babette

So basically is it different sized squares sewn together to make the blanket or does it matter what pattern the squares are made of (i.e., the solid dc square)? How about rectangles? Would that also be called the same name, babbette/babette?

Just to make sure I understand what you're saying --

I'm making this afghan and following her placement of squares but I'm using yarn that was leftover from another project because I didn't like her color choices. The designer is saying my afghan would not be considered a Babette?

I can actually see the designers point. Her vision, her DESIGN was specific. Use the colors that are listed for the pattern, place the squares where the pattern says too.....THAT is a Babette. Anything else could maybe be considered a Babette with modifications I suppose. But really, what difference does it make? Make a blanket however you want and call it whatever you want. It's YOU that needs to be happy with it. Who cares if the designer would consider it a "Babette"?

You could call is "Babette-esque" or "Babette-ish," maybe. It's not like the "granny square," which has a historical, understood meaning, or "pineapple" or "shell stitch" which is descriptive. The designer just made up that name for her pattern. She can't really tell anyone that their version can't be called "Babette" too (copyright doesn't extend to names), but if the design/style becomes widely known by that name (such as the universal "Kleenex" for tissues or "Scotch tape" for cellophane tape), it may be in the future that "Babette" will generally be understood to describe a certain kind of pattern--like "ripple." In the mean time...

How many times do you see someone saying, "This is my version of a fat-bottomed bag" or "this is my version of... (fill in the blank with well-known pattern)?" Would the designer prefer that you make something very similar to hers and call it your very own design, named "Lucille" or something? Or is it better to recognize that individual artisans will bring their own taste and creativity to a pattern, and calling it by the original pattern's name is a nod and a thank-you to the original designer who provided the inspiration and general guidance?

I am pretty sure I will never make one, but I think the Babette is a neat idea--I'm sure yours will turn out wonderfully!

You could call is "Babette-esque" or "Babette-ish," maybe. It's not like the "granny square," which has a historical, understood meaning, or "pineapple" or "shell stitch" which is descriptive. The designer just made up that name for her pattern. She can't really tell anyone that their version can't be called "Babette" too (copyright doesn't extend to names), but if the design/style becomes widely known by that name (such as the universal "Kleenex" for tissues or "Scotch tape" for cellophane tape), it may be in the future that "Babette" will generally be understood to describe a certain kind of pattern--like "ripple." In the mean time...

How many times do you see someone saying, "This is my version of a fat-bottomed bag" or "this is my version of... (fill in the blank with well-known pattern)?" Would the designer prefer that you make something very similar to hers and call it your very own design, named "Lucille" or something? Or is it better to recognize that individual artisans will bring their own taste and creativity to a pattern, and calling it by the original pattern's name is a nod and a thank-you to the original designer who provided the inspiration and general guidance?

I am pretty sure I will never make one, but I think the Babette is a neat idea--I'm sure yours will turn out wonderfully!

Totally agree. lion brand has a Babette like blanket. Different sized squares in different areas ( which is actually pretty cool) And Technically yes if yours is not made like hers exactly its not the true Babette. Just your interpretation of it.

Well, technically, even if you use different colors, wouldn't it still be the babette? Or is her choice of colors copyrighted as well?

It has always been my understanding that ANY pattern can be changed as far as the colors go. Its the pattern itself that is original.

I think this is very well stated.

I made one with the same square placement but a different square and different colors. I called mine ...

"Babette inspired"

I like that. Mine is "Babette Inspired" as I'm not even using the same size yarn or hook or even the same brand of yarn.

Debbi

My mother in law made an afghan for me about 30 years ago. It is in yellow, orange, and brown. (used to be the colors I liked) Squares are different sizes and stitches. The pattern was in a magazine.(which I found about a year ago) So by definition it is not a Babette but it is lovely, and interesting.

Archived