This blanket is making my hands hurt.

:( so I am making the 5 1/2 hour throw from Lion Brand's sight. But substituted the jiffy yarn for RH camo, she likes camo. But for some reason my hands are hurting soo bad from it. I wondered if it was because of the N hook ( haven't used one in a looooooong while) or the 3x the yarn, but it's just my hook hand, and only with this blanket. Oh and because of this it has taken way more the 5 1/2 hours more like a week because I am like Pavlov's dog and want nothing to do with it. it's conditioned me. lol

As long as its not making you dribble!

I would think you are using a different hook size and the wool is bulky, maybe you will get used to it after a while. Maybe do something different if its really paining you. I remember doing a curly scarf and the yarn was fluffy it nearly done my head in. I hated it as it took so long and was so difficult. Remember its supposed to be fun !!

xxxxxx

My hands are hurting just reading your post! Seriously, I'd bet it's a combination of both the yarn and the hook. You're not used to either on a regular basis so you're straining muscles you never thought you had. Walk away from the project for a little while.

:cheerI am with Stitchgirl, I would not do 2 strands let alone 3.

I stick to single strands of DK (8ply) and a 4mm hook because of that very same problem.

:eekThe only time I have ever had a problem with my hands was when I had to make a couple of ponchos, out of a thick yarn that someone had chosen becaue she liked the colour.

I can tell you, if I could have weasled my way out of doing the second one, I would have but I was committed to doing it but never again.

:crochetingI can work for hours and hours without a problem when I use the finer yarn.

You just need more stitches and more rows and the feel of the fabric is much nicer too.

Have fun.

Colleen:hug

It's the yarn thickness. I have been doing a lot of three strand projects lately and am having the same problem. I can only wook on them for a little while becuase it requires so much extra work. But if I want to something lacy with the same hook but only one strand of yarn it doesn't bother me at all.

Niya :yarn

Thank ladies, Yeah it's def the thickness i made 3 sets of booties with cotton and no problem. But it's finished now and in the home decor show and tell. :D

Yes, it's from both ~ working with a lot of yarn and from working with a big hook. I've been working on a large tote for a birthday gift using double Jiffy strands and an N hook. I knew from making rugs that I can't work very long at one time, so I planned well ahead in order to be finished on time. I figured about 3 rounds per day because I want to stop before my hands or wrists hurt. I found I could do more so I'm ahead of schedule, which thrills me.

Whenever you work with a lot of strands or heavy strands, it's slower and harder. Now that you've discovered this, if you plan any more of these projects, you can plan ahead to stop before your hands hurt, and keep some smaller, easier projects around to work on also.

Archived