will this felt?

LanetteG

Not to question you, Jess, but I was under the impression that only 100% natural wool (not super-wool or blended wool) will felt or any 100% natural fiber. If it's a blend, it'll still felt?? :think

Mohair felts, but it felts slightly differently than sheep's wool. In much the same way that llama and alpaca and angora felt/full differently from one another. Chiengora (hair from dogs) does not felt -- it doesn't have the same properties of sheep wool.

Also, even if you have a 85% wool/15% acrylic blend, it might full, but it will full strangely because only the wool parts will full -- the acrylic won't. Sometimes this leads to a really neat looking item, sometimes it looks awful. :)

Oh and btw -- one of my favorite yarns to full is Brown Sheep Lamb's Pride, which is 85% wool, 15% mohair. I have a bunch of it to make a fulled messenger bag (this is on my WiM -- I haven't ventured beyond the swatch stage yet).

It fulls great and is one of the yarns often recommended for fulling. :)

It will felt unless it was chemically treated.

Anyway, I felted Lamb's Pride (I think??) and it was 85/15. Felted up well, but will be fuzzy. also, DON"T FORGET TO PUT IN IN A PILLOW CASE. The mohair will leave long hairs all over your washer and in the pipes and may clog it otherwise. I ran it through a 1/2 cycle to look while the tub was still full of water and the little buggers were floating everywhere. I used a small chinese strainer to pull it out of there before spinning it out.:blush

Archived