question about teatowel toppers

Well, the towels with toppers that I have, are half towels, with a crocheted top to hang. You could leave it intact, but I think the half-topped ones are so the (usually) decorated sides hang right-side up when they are displayed. If its solid, I don't see why a bigger towel would be a problem!

hey if you cut the towel in half, you get 2 towels for the price of 1.

think of it that way. Ha, Ha....

i think they say to cut in half so when you crochet it atop of towel it won't hang to the floor when you hang it. i'm just guessing now.

jaye

I do these all the time. I usually use towels of the holidays and put novelty type buttons on them. Like if I use a Christmas towel I might put a wreath or snowman button, Halloween I use ghosts or bats. Most towels you buy have the pattern on both sides and you cut the towels in half, fold over the edge and stitch on the top. As Jaye said you get two towels gifts for the price of one. :hook

Do a search by typing in "crochet towel topper patterns". :compute A great website to go to is, crochet pattern central. There's all kinds of patterns there!! :hook I hope this helps a little.

I too make them all the time and have found it to be a matter of "preference" on whether to "half" them or not - to cut or not to cut that is the question! LOLOL

But having given these to families that use them for everything and not just hands - i.e.pots and pans, dish wiping, etc...they have received them both ways and found that the uncut or folded in half ones have lasted the test of time and the washing machine!

So I have just folded the towel with the design side showing and then made my foundation row across the folded edge and continued the patterns from there - that way it is a double layered thick hanging towel.

I too make them all the time and have found it to be a matter of "preference" on whether to "half" them or not - to cut or not to cut that is the question! LOLOL

But having given these to families that use them for everything and not just hands - i.e.pots and pans, dish wiping, etc...they have received them both ways and found that the uncut or folded in half ones have lasted the test of time and the washing machine!

So I have just folded the towel with the design side showing and then made my foundation row across the folded edge and continued the patterns from there - that way it is a double layered thick hanging towel.

I have thought about doing them like this but the thought of trying to get that hook through 2 layers of the towel kind of turned me off. Do you have a special way you do that? I just use a steel hook on my foundation chain to make the holes and boy it's tough so I was just wondering how you go through both layers. Thanks.

I have thought about doing them like this but the thought of trying to get that hook through 2 layers of the towel kind of turned me off. Do you have a special way you do that? I just use a steel hook on my foundation chain to make the holes and boy it's tough so I was just wondering how you go through both layers. Thanks.

Hi Pat ~

Glad you asked!!!:)

I most certainly do use a special something to pierce thru my towel layers and I used this same tool when it was only one layer that I had to do - it makes a cleaner hole and doesn't catch - the tool is part dental tool pick and part crochet hook - so I literally pierce the hole and then flip the tool around and use the hook to pull thru the yarn!!! I only use this small hook on the first row and I "sc; ch1" between holes so that my foundation row is not too tight and my next row I can sc in each chain 1 space.

Anyways here is the picture and source for my tool - Patternworks catalog either online or you can call to order I believe... My dear friend who makes these too loves using it as well - she and I wouldn't be caught without it to make towels!

http://www.patternworks.com/productdetail/300168.htm

PS - I also have one of these on mine - I have neuropathy and don't have good feeling in my fingers so the "grip" helps! I use these on my other hooks too. There are two sizes small and large. The dental tool takes the small and when you put it on you have to put it on the HOOK side to slip it on - otherwise it will get caught on the pick side. I leave enough of the hook and pick out each end of it to work comfortably and it also keeps me from losing that darned tool cuz it's small!

http://www.acmoore.com/p-43903-comfort-cushion-crochet-hook-fits-to-size-g-or-smaller.aspx

Hi Pat ~

Glad you asked!!!:)

I most certainly do use a special something to pierce thru my towel layers and I used this same tool when it was only one layer that I had to do - it makes a cleaner hole and doesn't catch - the tool is part dental tool pick and part crochet hook - so I literally pierce the hole and then flip the tool around and use the hook to pull thru the yarn!!! I only use this small hook on the first row and I "sc; ch1" between holes so that my foundation row is not too tight and my next row I can sc in each chain 1 space.

Anyways here is the picture and source for my tool - Patternworks catalog either online or you can call to order I believe... My dear friend who makes these too loves using it as well - she and I wouldn't be caught without it to make towels!

PS - I also have one of these on mine - I have neuropathy and don't have good feeling in my fingers so the "grip" helps! I use these on my other hooks too. There are two sizes small and large. The dental tool takes the small and when you put it on you have to put it on the HOOK side to slip it on - otherwise it will get caught on the pick side. I leave enough of the hook and pick out each end of it to work comfortably and it also keeps me from losing that darned tool cuz it's small!

Thanks for the info. I just ordered 2 hooks (in case I lose one:eek) from them. As for the cushions, they are already on all of my hooks. I can't crochet without them these days. They certainly are helpful.

I use a size 7 steel hook for the foundation row and it certainly does make it tight when you do the second row. I'm going to give your idea of one chain after each single a try. Thanks for all your helpful advice. I can't wait to try that tool out on my very first whole towel topper. I know some of those I've done the towels for will love the double towel.:hug

;) Pat I am sooo glad you are going to try the tool - it is a godsend for me! It is sharp enough to pierce easily thru the layers and when you put one of the cushions on it you won't lose it as easily either!!!

I give these tools as gifts to not only my crochet friends but my knitting friends as well - they use them to pick up stitches with and to get knots out of yarn and a whole bunch of uses!

I like that the towel stays intact, even though I can get more towels by cutting, I still don't like the frayed edge and sewing it to keep it from shedding threadies.

Hope Clare is able to use some of the info here too!:yay

;) Pat I am sooo glad you are going to try the tool - it is a godsend for me! It is sharp enough to pierce easily thru the layers and when you put one of the cushions on it you won't lose it as easily either!!!

I give these tools as gifts to not only my crochet friends but my knitting friends as well - they use them to pick up stitches with and to get knots out of yarn and a whole bunch of uses!

I like that the towel stays intact, even though I can get more towels by cutting, I still don't like the frayed edge and sewing it to keep it from shedding threadies.

Hope Clare is able to use some of the info here too!:yay

I'll let you know how it works when I get it. :yes

• 1 month later...

Hello Ladies,

What is this tool everyone is talking about? And where can I purchase one? I crochet kitchen towels, and I've knitted them also ( I fold towel in half, and pick up stitches on top of towel, and knit my pattern or crochet them. Also have done a no sew towel topper (made one last night and it came out nice. ) I just folded my towel and attach to the under loop ( quick and easy to replace with a clean towel.)

Wanda

I make towel toppers a lot to sell on my shop. I cut them in half and do a blanket stitch across the top folding over the raw edge about 1/2" . just use a yarn needle and worsted weight yarn.

I've done it both ways, depends on the pattern on the towel. But the things I like best are the towel grippers. This way I can use a hanger that matches my kitchen and just replace the towel when it needs laundering.

Hey there Mama Mooch -

just read my reply in post #12 in this thread and both the link for the piercing tool that is half crochet hook and half dental tool is right there with my explanation!

Happy crocheting!

Archived