Questions about dish scrubbies

I have a friend that is asking me to crochet a dish scrubbie for her, but it isn't made of cotton. She said she thinks it is made of tuille? Her husband's aunt makes them, knits them I believe, and sends them to her periodically, but she hasn't gotten on in a while and she knows the aunt is having a harder time with her hands so she hates to ask her for another.

Anyway, my question is, has anyone croceted with tuille? or a similar type of material? If so, how do you crocet with it? What type of hook? Anything I should be aware of?

I've made several scrubbies using the tulle. I usually get it by the yard from JoAnn's Fabrics.

Here's a site with patterns:

http://www.crochetpatterncentral.com/directory/scrubbers.php

http://trishcrochet.50g.com/scrubbie.html --this pattern might be close to what you're looking for.

You usually have to cut the tulle into 2" strips. That's the hard part, but, the scrubbies come in very handy.

Wonderful. Thank you. She was telling me that they were gentle enough for her really nice pans but strong enough to get them really clean.

I think I may have some of the tulle at home. I'll have to look for it and see.

Thank you again.

They are a big deal at the craft shows here. I haven't made one, but I did buy two so that I could rip one apart and see how it was made. I decided that I did not want to make them because I think the tulle or netting would be hard on my hands.

I have a friend who knits them and she says it takes her 10 yards each, so she picks up 10 yards and then cuts her strips from that so she doesn't have to join anything. I thought that was a good idea, the netting or tulle stuff they use is pretty cheap and our wal-mart carries it. For my part I think I will continue to pay 1.25 each for them at the farmer's market, but it's nice to know I could make them if I wanted to.

I love the one I kept, it washes up nicely, unlike a scrubber spounge, and it is gentle on my pans.

I made these for Christmas gifts one year. I was going to make a boatload of them because there is nothing really to making them. I forget how many I made before my fingers were hurting like the dickens!! :eek I haven't made any since!! But they are nice to use!! :)

I don't use tulle, I use nylon net and yes it is hard on your hands, especially at first. Your hands to get tougher as you make more of them. Just a hint, check the color of the nylon net. Some colors are more coarse than others. I really think tulle would be to soft for any real cleaning. However I bet it would make a great bath scrubbie, not quite so harsh on the skin and would dry quicker than cotton.

They are a big deal at the craft shows here. I haven't made one, but I did buy two so that I could rip one apart and see how it was made. I decided that I did not want to make them because I think the tulle or netting would be hard on my hands.

I have a friend who knits them and she says it takes her 10 yards each, so she picks up 10 yards and then cuts her strips from that so she doesn't have to join anything. I thought that was a good idea, the netting or tulle stuff they use is pretty cheap and our wal-mart carries it. For my part I think I will continue to pay 1.25 each for them at the farmer's market, but it's nice to know I could make them if I wanted to.

I love the one I kept, it washes up nicely, unlike a scrubber spounge, and it is gentle on my pans.

My friend was raving about how gentle they are on her pans. That's why she was asking me to make some for her. :lol

I made these for Christmas gifts one year. I was going to make a boatload of them because there is nothing really to making them. I forget how many I made before my fingers were hurting like the dickens!! :eek I haven't made any since!! But they are nice to use!! :)

I was afraid it might be hard on my hands. hmmmmm

I don't use tulle, I use nylon net and yes it is hard on your hands, especially at first. Your hands to get tougher as you make more of them. Just a hint, check the color of the nylon net. Some colors are more coarse than others. I really think tulle would be to soft for any real cleaning. However I bet it would make a great bath scrubbie, not quite so harsh on the skin and would dry quicker than cotton.

I think you are right on the tulle being better as a bath scrubbie and the nylon being better for a kitchen scrubbie. I've noticed that different colors have a different feel and are coarser than others.

I think scrubbies are fun to make but I sure wouldn't try if I was a beginner. While the patterns are simple working with the netting takes some getting used to! I just love them and have to make them for several friends, including my sister!

:think-Maybe it was nylon netting that I bought. I just called it tulle because it was right up there with the tulle that was soft(for a bath scrubbie). I need to make some more, I've been using them for gifts, but I dread how my fingers feel after making just a few of them!! :eek

I have made scrubbies too, I never used tulle but I think I will try that next. I have uses nylon. Nylon works great but They tend not to last very long.

Kim

Wow, I've made tons of them and most have lasted a long time. The first one I made lasted for over a year. It was really pretty. I used the pink nylon and crocheted a circle about 2 inches across, then sc'd a second circle in white cotton, and crocheted both circles together with yellow and a shell stitch. I gave it to my mom along with a dishcloth and she really liked it. Ended up making more and selling them.

Oh yeah, it lasted over a year and that's with daily use.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived