How do you make the transistion?

Ok, I have been working with thread for a few months now. I tried to crochet with ww cotton yesterday and I can't do it, LOL, feels like I am working with rope! My stitches look horrible.

Does anyone else have this problem? :lol

It is just a different weight of material and takes some getting used to. Kinda like how I usually use WW and homespun was so hard for me to use.

I don't use anything smaller than an H hook with cotton, though.

hope this helps!

:crocheting,

Lorry

Working with cotton was really hard for me too. You have to retrain your hands to hold it at a totally different tension. It doesn't have a smooth flow to it either. you might want to try the Peaches and Creme Cotton - it's really a lot easier to work with than Sugar and Cream.

I work cotton in a range of E - G hooks.

I solve the problem by rarely making anything with regular yarn, I mostly just use thread. :)

Seriously, I made a couple of hats with the speed hook (size S), and that was awful!! I felt like I was using a baseball bat! I usually crochet with a size 7, so the difference was just astounding.

I agree with the others, the cotton yarn doesn't flow as nicely as, say, regular worsted weight acrylic.

I love working with cotton ww yarn; it's very soft (especially compared to a lot of the acrylics out there). It does take a bit to get used to though, due to the fact that it doesn't stretch like acrylics, ect do...

I have the same problem after working with thread for so long. Usually I just pick up some scrap ww and my fav I hook and do a mindless swatch, watching tv...my hands seem to adjust themselves...it is a pain though :yes

I use my scrap yarns and keep the 'suggested' hook in the ball of yarn/thread, and before I pick up a different project, I use the scrap yarn to adjust my gauge to whatever I'm going to work on next. Seems to work.

I go back and forth between yarn and thread all the time...if I work with one exclusively over a long period of time, then I have trouble switching for a while...if it's thread to yarn, yeah I feel like I'm crocheting with rope. If it's yarn to thread, I seem to have trouble with my grip...but I just work through it until I get use to the grip and tension...for this reason, if I'm working on a big project with one, I try doing little fast projects with the other...and visa versa...

For me there are so many patterns I want to make with the different fibers, and so many ideas from my own head that I can't really just stay with one weight or yarn over another for very long.

Archived