Has anyone used this hook?

Sonny321

Is this the video you were referring too? She calls it knooking.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8kj911WjmdE

That was a great video.

In tatting you often use a hook to pick upp threads, I would imagine that this hook would be used for it's own tatting tecnique.

/Tina

• 1 month later...

This is an older thread, but I thought it may help to mention, that you don't need two cords.

The cro-knit, Amazing Needle, Super Miracle Needle, has a cord through an eyelet on the opposite end of the hook. This cord serves like a knitting needle, in that it holds the live stitches until you work back and pick them up. Then you pull the cord out. You just keep pulling loops thru (which knitting is) and without out something to hold them up and keep gauge, they unravel. As you all know in crochet, each stitch is generally worked to stand on it's own.

There are new vendors who are also subsidizing this resurgence of an old technique, and they are interchangeable hook sets, where the cable serves the same purpose. (They are like interchangeable knitting needle sets with crochet hooks on the end instead). Denise, Knit Pro come to mind. There may be others.

HTH,

Susan Reishus

• 4 months later...

After reading this whole thread, I have decided to order one. I crochet rectangles for HAP, can knit a bit but am not comfortable with two needles in my hands. This looks like something I can use to change up the stitches for the rectangles.

I'll let you know how it goes!

• 3 weeks later...
I just happen to find this board, and I'm glad I did. I have that hook, in steel in a size G or H. It was my grandmothers, and she used it to make rugs. It was left to my mother, and when she died 3 years ago, I got it. I didn't know what it was or how to use it. I just use it as a crochet hook. I may try to get some of the books and see if I can knit or tat with it.

Thanks I now know what it is.

nettiea

I think you have a locker hook. They used them for making rugs. You can also using them for knooking.

I know this is a really old post, but I thought I would reply. The Amazing Needle really knits. It’s not Tunisian or Slip Stitches, but real honest to goodness knit stitches. You can see my “Knitted C Cloth” project on Ravelry as an example. I knitted it from a regular knit pattern I found on Ravelry.

When you use the AN you make actual knit stitches. It is more like crocheting when making a project, working just one stitch at a time. However, the worked stitches slide over your hook and down onto the cord that’s attached to the end of your hook. The cord acts like the second needle.

Once I got my tension worked out, the knitted washcloth was really pretty easy. Well…except that I don’t understand knitted terms yet, but I’m hoping that AN users will come up with a translation/encyclopedia of some type, that will help us turn knit terms into AN actions. KWIM? Knit and purl is pretty easy, but I don’t know how to do anything else.

That washcloth is the only project I’ve made so far because there really aren’t any good videos or instructions on how to use the AN. The instructions that come with the ANs are “okay.” Videos would be AWESOME.

What I really want to learn is how to use the AN in the round, like a hat with the ultimate goal of making socks. I have the sock pattern for using the ANs, but right now working on something in the round that small is beyond my skill. As far as I know there isn’t a AN hat pattern, but it would make a great tutorial if there was one.

I think this is a wonderful technique that could really use a LOT more exposure. (And videos! lol…)

If you want to give the technique a try without investing in the needles, you can purchase a Locker Hook, and some light weight jewelry cording. I found my locker hook at Hobby Lobby, but I had to experiment a little bit to find cording that worked. It needs to be smooth…kinda like leather necklace thong.

The locker hook is about a sized G hook, with a needle type eye at the end. In reality the eye really shouldn’t be larger than the diameter of the hook, but it’s a cheap way to experiment with the technique.

I just made my first swatch last night and LOVE it. It's really a lock of fun.

Archived