Help with a pattern please? Tearing my hair out.

Ro

Question

Okay, I need you veterans to help me out please!!!

weird, no matter what I do I can't post the link. The pattern is Coates and Clark LW1238 Romantic Ripple. . .

This is the thing that's driving me crazy. I made this blanket once a couple years ago but now, I can't seem to duplicate it to save my life!

Here are my dilemmas.

1. It comes out HUGE if you use anywhere near the 188 stitches it wants you to start with. For some odd reason I remember that I made it half sized the first time (it was for a child). But I can't remember how I divided the pattern in half to make the pattern work.

I've already tried going down several hook sizes and the yarn I'm using is Simply Soft by Caron so it's pretty thin.

When I chained the 188 stitches the chain was taller than I am (and I'm 5'10"!)

My husband resident brain and mathematician has tried everything to get this to work mathmatically and we're stumped because no matter what I do the pattern does NOT come out evenly- with the repeats in the center and then the seven do a stitch/skip a stitch at either end with 5 dc in the last stitch on either end.

I don't know if there's a typo in the pattern or I'm really losing what was left of my brain and talent for this art but this is the way I'm reading-doing the pattern. If the mistake is mine please help me find it!

Row 1 (Right side): Ch 3, 4 dc in first sc, * skip next sc, [dc in next sc, skip next sc] 7 times **, [5 dc in next sc] twice; rep from * to last sc, end at **; 5 dc in last sc; turn.

Row 2: Ch 1, sc in each st across

I don't know if the asterisks are in the wrong place or what I'm doing wrong that the pattern won't come out. I was doing this:

chain 3, 4 dc in the first sc, then skip the next sc and dc in the next sc seven times. Then I was putting 5 dc in each of the next 2 stitches, and then skipping/stitching seven times again. Then 5 in each of the next two, and so on.

The pattern comes out crooked no matter what I do with it. What am I doing wrong??? hellllp LOL

TIA

Ro

20 answers to this question

Thank you ladies! Okay, if you can get the swatch to work then it MUST be me! Not surprising sadly but then this is the life of a neuro patient crocheter these days!

I'm going to get working on it again and will post my progress! I love ya'll thanks again for your help and dedication to my sad state of affairs over here. I'm trying to make this as a 25th anniversary present for my husband's only aunt. . .

luv

Ro

Ro, I'm so glad to hear you are making great progress on it.

Now you have me wanting to make one. My list of things to do is so long, but this one will be going on it.

Maybe the math doesn't make much sense in this particular ripple pattern because it is more of a wave than a ripple.:scrachin

Darski, I know, I wonder about the math too but it seems to be working and I'm afraid to question it and break the magic spell LOL. I'm on my sixth row and it seems to be coming out correctly! You would think though that the math was off somehow my husband was scratching his head over it and he's an engineer.

I think it's great that you stuck with this to get it right rather than just

giving up! This must be a really difficult time in your life, and you're showing a lot of courage a drive. Good for you!

And a pat or two on the back for all those who spent time working out

the problem for you. Too bad the whole world can't be so caring and

cooperative.

Jean L.

I agree with you on how kind it was of everybody to comment and esp. Mel for sticking with me!

My stroke happened back in 2000 (I was misdiagnosed with MS for five years afterward actually took a whole new team of doctors to figure out what had really happened) and I learned to crochet after ward to have projects to do for charity. Since then other issues have surfaced and I can't run the drives anymore :( but I still try to contribute where i can and keep as good an attitude as i can! I try to focus not on what I can't do anymore but what I can still do.

I hold the yarn funny and elaborate patterns are out of my league but if I can still make afghans esp. to donate, then I'm happy! I really wanted to make this one again as it is such a lovely pattern when it's done.

Hugs to all!

Ro

I think it's great that you stuck with this to get it right rather than just

giving up! This must be a really difficult time in your life, and you're showing a lot of courage a drive. Good for you!

And a pat or two on the back for all those who spent time working out

the problem for you. Too bad the whole world can't be so caring and

cooperative.

Jean L.

I am just wondering if you should not be making a 7 dc shell in order to recover the stitches you lose in the 'scallop' portion. you drop 7 stitches and then only add in 5 with the shell.

Just curious about the math... but then I think I slept through a lot of those classes :rofl

Yes! That's definitely got it. Crocheter error as they say- the stitches I wasn't skipping was what was throwing the whole works off.

I ended up chaining 137 and working over 136- with the Simply Soft and the J hook it's giving me a 48 inch width. Perfect!

Thank you again for all your help! Will try to post a finished picture of the ghan when it's done. I'm pretty slow these days so it'll take me awhile (thankfully I have until the end of April to get it done!)

I have two baby blankets to make too- ack! LOL

thanks again!:manyheart

Ro

Mel you're my hero! I found my mistake after following your directions!

What I was doing was neglecting to skip the last sc before the two 5 dc stitches! The way the original pattern was written my brain processed it as after the last dc that you did not skip the next stitch before making the shells. that's where I was losing my way (I think!)

Myself, my post-stroke brain and my poor husband who tried but couldn't figure it out (he doesn't 'speak crochet' lol) THANK You!!!!!!!! :cheer

I'll try starting the actual afghan and let you know how it goes. . .

You saved the day! :)

When I worked up the swatch and got it to work, I followed the written out instructions I wrote out for you.

Try doing a swatch following this: Row 1 chain 3, 4 dc in first sc, *skip next sc, [dc in next sc, skip next sc, dc in sc, skip sc, dc in sc, skip sc, dc in sc, skip sc, dc in sc, skip sc, dc in sc, skip sc, dc in sc, skip sc]**, [5 dc in next sc, 5 dc in next sc], repeat from * to last sc, end at **, 5 dc in last sc, turn.

I had trouble the first time, so I actually printed it out and marked off every stitch when I did it the second time.

Printing it out, thanks Mel you're a dear! *squishy hugs*

Getting the hook and yarn now to try it- just have to get the sweet sleeping kitty out of my lap first. Which is so hard to do LOL

When I worked up the swatch and got it to work, I followed the written out instructions I wrote out for you.

Try doing a swatch following this: Row 1 chain 3, 4 dc in first sc, *skip next sc, [dc in next sc, skip next sc, dc in sc, skip sc, dc in sc, skip sc, dc in sc, skip sc, dc in sc, skip sc, dc in sc, skip sc, dc in sc, skip sc]**, [5 dc in next sc, 5 dc in next sc], repeat from * to last sc, end at **, 5 dc in last sc, turn.

I had trouble the first time, so I actually printed it out and marked off every stitch when I did it the second time.

:cheerYou dont really need the repeat count.

Just make a chain a little longer than you want the width to be, the work as many repeats of the pattern across the chain. Stop when it is enough and then make sure you finish the row with the same as the pattern tells you to.

You can now start and finish each row as per the pattern.

When you are finished, simply cut off all but about 6CH and carefully unpick the last few back to the edge.

Finish off as usual.

This saves all the tearing out of hair associated with trying to work out the Math.

Hope this helps but please, dont hesitate to PM me if you still have problems.

Have fun.

Colleen:hug

Does the pattern by any chance give you a swatch gauge? If it does, it may tell you what the multiple for the 'ripple' would be.

Yes indeed it does! I tried both swatch sizes and still, it doesn't come out to a complete repeat of the pattern so that confused me further LOL

it says:

GAUGE: In pat - One rep of 17 sts = 4½"; 8 rows = 4¼". CHECK YOUR GAUGE. Use any size crochet hook to obtain the gauge given.

divider_lt.gif

NOTE: Check your gauge by working a swatch over a multiple of 17 sts: ch 18 or 35 and work in pat over 17 or 34 sts.

I really appreciate your help in trying to figure out what I'm doing wrong! I'm thinking I may have to make one in the entire size no matter how big it is just because I can't let it go LOL

What is the finished size of the ghan?

Remember that with a ripple, it isn't as wide as the starting chain once you have done a few rows.

Supposed to be these measurements:

Afghan measures approximately 49½" x 67".

RED HEART® Worsted Weight Yarns: This model made in RED HEART® "Fiesta" yarn, 73% acrylic, 27% nylon, Art. E704 (6 oz skeins) and RED HEART® "Super Saver®" yarn, 100% acrylic, Art E300 (8 and 6 oz skeins).

Amount-Fiesta: 34 Ounces No. 6347 Light Periwinkle CA; and Super Saver: 14 Ounces No. 311 White CB.

Crochet Hook: U.S. Size J-10 [6 mm].

With the simply soft and a G hook even it was still coming out way huge!

The pattern is free online but I can't seem to get a link to work.

With CA ch 188.

Foundation Row (Wrong Side): Sc in 2nd ch from hook and in each ch across; turn – 187 sc.

Row 1 (Right side): Ch 3, 4 dc in first sc, * skip next sc, [dc in next sc, skip next sc] 7 times **, [5 dc in next sc] twice; rep from * to last sc, end at **; 5 dc in last sc; turn.

Row 2: Ch 1, sc in each st across and in top of ch-3; turn.

Rep Rows 1 and 2 for pat working 8 more rows with CA, then *** 4 rows CB, 8 rows CA, 4 rows CB, 6 rows CA, 4 rows CB, 6 rows CA, 4 rows CB, 8 rows CA, 4 rows CB, 10 rows CA. Rep from *** once more – 126 rows. Fasten off. Weave in ends.

Edging: With right side facing, attach CA and work 1 row sc evenly across each long edge of afghan. Fasten off.

CA and CB are changing colors of course but I'm trying to just make it in one color anyway this time. . .

Thank you for replying! Yes that is what I was doing (though your directions are so much clearer than the actual pattern! Bless you!) I still don't know what is going wrong.

All I know is I may end up having to make a ginormous one just to see if it works out. I'm just wondering if there is a typo somewhere in the pattern. I'm not too dense when it comes to pattern following and I've done tons of ripples that's why I don't get why this isn't working.

Proof I made the blanket once! LOL But I know it wasn't as big as the 188 stitches would turn out to be:Picture+1292

The link isn't working, so I can't see the entire pattern.

Row 2: Ch 1, sc in each st across

What I did was I went through the pattern for row 1 and wrote the pattern out to try to help you figure it out. It looks like in the first set of brackets, you weren't skipping enough sc's.

Read through this and see if it makes sense when you compare what you posted and what I wrote out.

Row 1 chain 3, 4 dc in first sc, *skip next sc, [dc in next sc, skip next sc, dc in sc, skip sc, dc in sc, skip sc, dc in sc, skip sc, dc in sc, skip sc, dc in sc, skip sc, dc in sc, skip sc]**, [5 dc in next sc, 5 dc in next sc], repeat from * to last sc, end at **, 5 dc in last sc, turn.

From the first * till **, there will be 8 skipped sc's and 7 dc's.

Archived