Jacquard Crochet

Thanks for the help, I will look at all the information you all have provided. I found this technique on this blog:

http://crochetcodex.blogspot.com/

( Amy please remove and accept my apologies if I am mistaken in posting the link)

She does the most amazing tapestry crochet. I would love to learn how to do this!

Thanks again for your help :hug

Thanks for the help, I will look at all the information you all have provided. I found this technique on this blog:

http://crochetcodex.blogspot.com/

( Amy please remove and accept my apologies if I am mistaken in posting the link)

She does the most amazing tapestry crochet. I would love to learn how to do this!

Thanks again for your help :hug

I found her in an article here!

http://www.tapestrycrochet.com/blog/?cat=7

The technique of tapestry crochet is pretty simple. It's usually done in sc, and most of the patterns I've seen recently are done in rounds, although I made a tapestry crochet sweater in fingering yarn in rows of dc many moons ago. You work with 2 colors at once, simply working over the color you're not using, like you would work over a yarn tail to hide it. When it's time to switch colors, you just pull up the previously worked-over color and start working over the other color.

The technique of tapestry crochet is pretty simple. It's usually done in sc, and most of the patterns I've seen recently are done in rounds, although I made a tapestry crochet sweater in fingering yarn in rows of dc many moons ago. You work with 2 colors at once, simply working over the color you're not using, like you would work over a yarn tail to hide it. When it's time to switch colors, you just pull up the previously worked-over color and start working over the other color.

It seems like it is pretty much like fair isle knitting as far as carrying yarn, am I right in thinking that? Can you work patterns like what's on the front of this book? http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1883010349/ref=wl_it_dp?ie=UTF8&coliid=I3EMT7ANG4IMRU&colid=2PDWYN3TM6JPP

Why do you need to crochet through the back loop only?

Sorry for all the questions :blush I really appreciate any help given :hug

It seems like it is pretty much like fair isle knitting as far as carrying yarn, am I right in thinking that? Can you work patterns like what's on the front of this book? http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1883010349/ref=wl_it_dp?ie=UTF8&coliid=I3EMT7ANG4IMRU&colid=2PDWYN3TM6JPP

Why do you need to crochet through the back loop only?

Sorry for all the questions :blush I really appreciate any help given :hug

From what I am reading ( I have no experience with either, just trying to learn about the differences myself) about fair isle and tapestry this is what I am picking up as the main difference (besides that fair isle seems to be mostly associated with knitting) In fair isle the unused color is held to the back and stranded across the color in use while in tapestry you actually crochet around the unused color so the back side of tapestry would look pretty much like the front side and the back side of fair isle would have a strand of the unused color running across the section where the other color was used.

Not sure about where the crochet through the back loop only question is coming from........on the tapestry crochet links it shows crocheting through both loops

I'm not a knitter, so can't comment on fair isle, except it's beautiful....

If you were to do it through the back loop you'd end up with a ridged, cuff-like look; I've never seen it that way. I think going through both loops might hide the yarn better.

With regard to the pattern on the mitten book--you could certainly do that pattern EXCEPT there is a third color. You'd end up working over 2 strands, which might be a bit bulky, or you could change the green to white to keep it at 2 colors.

Also, because you are "sort of" working with 2 strands, your fabric will be a little stiffer than working with 1 strand.

Not sure about where the crochet through the back loop only question is coming from........on the tapestry crochet links it shows crocheting through both loops

Maybe it was the mosaic crochet I read about that did that. The two seem to run together for me. I guess I just need to sit down and do it.

Granny, does it matter what yarn you use? I mostly have worsted weight...would that be to bulky?

Thanks again for all the help:hug

Worsted would be good for a purse, I personally prefer lighter weight yarn for garments anyway, so....why don't you try a little swatch and see what you think?

If you look at Carol Ventura's site, most of her projects that are pretty sturdy, like baskets and purses. I think if I were to use it in worsted in a sweater for example, I'd use it only for trim, not the whole garment.

I have been working on a mitten. I found out that the tapestry stitch that goes through the back loop is called the Bosnian crochet or Shepherd's knitting , it makes the fabric drape better and you can follow graphs without the slant. So far I have only been able to get it to work in the round. I'll post pictures when I finish. Thank you so much for all the help!

Below is a link with a very pretty sock made this way.

http://saralamb.blogspot.com/2005_01_01_archive.html

I have tried my hands a t tapestry crochet and like the concept. It is usaullly used in sc as dc would make to losse of a fabric. If anyone has ever done macreme with wool, when the yarn becomes the core of the project and the strand id braided around that think of the yarn being the core. This produces the fabric to have a raised woven feel toi. Therefore the more yarn the mroe woven it looks

I finally got my blog up so now I can post pictures of the stitch. I tried making mittens but the graph was to big and I didn't want to spend a lot of time resizing it, instead I am doing a scarf in the round. Here's the link if you all would like to see it:

http://classiccrochet.boldstepdesign.com/

Classic, your scarf WIP is pretty! Since you are working in the round that would make a nice hat too, hmm.

CrochetingTakesGuts, the tapestry technique works in dc but it depends on the end product and pattern. DC wouln't work as well for a stiff basket with an intricate pattern, but worked fine for a simple slanted-stripe sweater I made in fine yarn that had narrow v-stripes which would have been a nighmare if I had to carry yarn behind the work or cut and weave all those ends.

Archived