How to wash yarn before using?

I was reading a thread and people were talking about how they wash their yarn before they use it.

So, my question is how do you wash it and not get it all tangled? Is there a certain technique? :think

I had never heard of people doing this, and now I'm quite curious.

I've done this. I had some homespun that was stored with potpourri and boy did it stink. I put each skein in a knee-high stocking and knotted the end. I washed them and put them in the dryer for a while. They didn't dry completely but I hung them for a day or two until they were dry. It worked great!!! The yarn stayed perfect and the stinky apple spice was gone! :)

I've done this. I had some homespun that was stored with potpourri and boy did it stink. I put each skein in a knee-high stocking and knotted the end. I washed them and put them in the dryer for a while. They didn't dry completely but I hung them for a day or two until they were dry. It worked great!!! The yarn stayed perfect and the stinky apple spice was gone! :)

I've heard this is a good way to soften up Red Heart SS and other stiffer acrylics. I'm tempted to try it next time.

Washing really does soften up Red Heart SS. I really like RHSS after it's been washed. It's nice and soft but not limp.

I have noticed that RH is getting a bit stiffer - mostly the darker colors. I use this yarn all the time. I think I will be washing it first to see if I like it better. I usually am not picky about the feel of the yarn because I make mostly amis and they are stiff to begin with, but it is starting to be alittle rough on my hands.

Should we add little softener? Or does it really make a difference?

Archived