Q about hexagon blanket

I was planning on making a hexagon granny square blanket. I'm curious abotut he edges. Do they end up staggered or is there a way to make "half hexagons" to straighten them out?

The answer is yes! :eek

They can be staggered

and

you can make half motifs if you want the edges to be straight.

Some times I'll put 1/2 motifs on the ends only. It makes it look like a ripple. I made one where the motifs were joined in a flower shape (from the center out), kind of like a round ripple. Hexagons are a great way to use up scrap balls. I've even made scarves with them.

Ellie 13

I was planning on making a hexagon granny square blanket. I'm curious abotut he edges. Do they end up staggered or is there a way to make "half hexagons" to straighten them out?

I made a hexagon afghan for my boss for Christmas this past year, and I found that you can either leave the edges uneven or you can make half-motifs to fill in the empty spaces, BUT, for the most part it really depends upon the size of the motifs. If the motifs are small, you can get away with not filling in the empty spaces with half-motifs, but if the motifs are large, you really do need to make half-motifs to fill in the spaces, otherwise the edges of the afghan just look awful. The only way you might be able to get away with not filling in the empty spaces on the edges with larger motifs is if you're doing a really large piece, like a king-sized bed cover. Otherwise, if it's just a regular sized throw, it just looks too unfinished and icky.

Elle

you can google for half hexagon motifs and find some patterns online; also, a great idea is to instead of assemble it "square" assemble it oval, and the edges don't seem to be so ... "edgy".

Archived