Gingerbread roof - suggestions please

There has been so much discussion about gingerbread crochet this year that I felt like making a Gingerbread house - with yarn of course. Actually, the house itself was rather easy - they sort of design themselves but the roof is proving to be a challenge. This is designed to be either a purse :no:yes or a container for treats :yes:no

Here are the pics of the house generally - as far as I have gotten so far at least...

Front:

ghouse1.jpg

One side:

ghouse2.jpg

and the back:

ghouse3.jpg

So the challenge is in how to complete the roof. My first plan was to just make the "roof" straight up, tuck in the end/gables and use the chimney to close it a la "ditty bag".

to get the snow covered look, I have been using two strands of yarn (a thick and thin) and it was looking too bulky to be left as is for the number of stitches. I began to make decreases in the gabled areas to reduce the bulk and it does almost fold in as I would like it to.

ghouse5.jpg

There is a goodly bit of 'fabric' to deal with here...

ghouse4.jpg

So a couple of questions...

Should I just go up for a couple more rows at the full number of stitches that I have now?

Should I continue to decrease on each gable? Remembering that you have to be able to get 'into' the house for whatever it becomes.

And... I used plastic canvas in the base to keep it stable, should I put some PC on the sides to make them firmer? I have been debating this since I started the thing. it generally keeps its shape but...

One problem with being just one person is that I only have my limited ideas to work from. I am thinking that some fresh eyes might bring fresh insight :think...

I think it looks great as is! Snow covered gingerbread house! It's beautiful! IMO, just adding a chimney would finish off the roof. Then add handles or leave as it for treats/gift as you suggested.

I think the plastic canvas on the sides is a good idea, depending on what you want to put in it.

I love the candy cane and peppermint on the side! Just darling really!

ok so i was thinking about this while looking at a couple other threads and the only thing i can think of is to just go up a couple more rows. with decreases to make the roof peak a littl more. make a couple of small u shaped handles and hand sew on a snap.

just my thought.

btw that is the cutest thing ever!

ok so i was thinking about this while looking at a couple other threads and the only thing i can think of is to just go up a couple more rows. with decreases to make the roof peak a littl more. make a couple of small u shaped handles and hand sew on a snap.

just my thought.

btw that is the cutest thing ever!

I think this is what I will have to do. I don't think my ditty bag chimney idea will go for this one.

Well, back to the drawing board.. :wlol

First, your GBH is very nice. Here's what I'd do, I'd put the PC inside the sides. Then Line the inside of the bag. That'll give it more stability and the inside will look good. Then I'd crochet :crocheting a roof that'll act as the cover for the bag. And crochet :crocheting a long strap and attach it to the sides so it'll become a shoulder bag. I can just see it now and it looks so good in my imagination. :yes:lol However you finish it I'd love to see it finished. :)

First, your GBH is very nice. Here's what I'd do, I'd put the PC inside the sides. Then Line the inside of the bag. That'll give it more stability and the inside will look good. Then I'd crochet :crocheting a roof that'll act as the cover for the bag. And crochet :crocheting a long strap and attach it to the sides so it'll become a shoulder bag. I can just see it now and it looks so good in my imagination. :yes:lol However you finish it I'd love to see it finished. :)

I like this idea, Darski...when/if you make a single long strap, make it a little narrower than the sides of the bag, then stitch the ends to the front and back so that roof will have to peak on its own. I can't really explain it very well, but the strap should be going in the same directions as the sides, not the front and back. Clear as mud?

Archived