Help, painful, cracked thumbs! What do you do?

I've been crocheting like crazy for the holidays and my hands are drying out no matter how much lotion I use. Both thumbs have painful cracks in them that are really slowing me down. It's really hard to crochet with bandaids on, lol! I can't be the only one with this problem :(. Anyone have any suggestions? I have too many projects left to do for Christmas to slow down now! :crocheting Any suggestions greatly appreciated!

:hug Ann

In the past I have used rubber thumbs and finger tips (avaliable at most stationery stores). They really have helped me. They grip the hook and keep the yarn from sliding too much.

At night use a good hand cream (I like Udderly Smooth Udder Cream or Burts Bees cuticle cream) and cover with white cotton gloves or a large band-aid

I have the same problem I use Eucerin extremem healing hand cream ( I think that is the name) I actually aske dmy doctor and she said any cream as long as it is thick and to make sure I am drinking enough water.

I have some stuff called Northridge skin repair. I put it on at night or in the day and it really does heal!! It comes in scents, but I use baby powder for myself. I buy it at the antiques mall here, but they do have a website. OUr nurse at school uses it on the kids who have skin rashes!!! It comes in a jar and it lasts a really long time. It cured the cracks on my heals!! :manyheart

Like the others have said, try to drink more water.

Vaseline works. I also used to open a vitamin E by putting a needle in one end, and then squeezing out the inside onto the sore spot.

This is a odd one, and if you need a picture of the bottle, let me know. I picked it up at a flea market booth. It's called Zim's crack creme, a diabetic formula, for fingers and feet lotion. The bottle has 2001 on it, so not sure if it is still made or by a different name. Instructions say only a couple of drops into the fingertips. Smell is not overpowering.

Note to self....who is now typing with this stuff on hands....it might be better to use this at nite....... :)

Thanks for the ideas everyone! I have been putting some home made balm on at night with bandaids. It has helped a little bit, but I definitely need something heavier duty! I think I'll try to find some of those finger tips too!

check out the diabetic skin creams at the drugstore. Also a trick I used, especially when I didn't want creams getting on yarn, is to cut the fingers off a cheap thin rubber type glove (like the kind doctors use). They fit well, are very flexible, and protect both your fingers and the yarn.

Well, here's what I do....use neosporin with an anesthetic, and keep bandaids on until they're healed.

After they are completely healed I use an emery board and buff down the thick skin at the corners of my thumbs. This will get the hard thick skin down to soft pliable skin where it is less likely to crack.

Also keep the skin moisturized with a good cream and I usually don't have much trouble if I keep this up.

I am a nurse, and I have to punch out many pills everyday out of the blister packs that the meds are kept in. The soreness at the corners of my thumbs can be really bad from punching pills all day.

I've been crocheting like crazy for the holidays and my hands are drying out no matter how much lotion I use. Both thumbs have painful cracks in them that are really slowing me down. It's really hard to crochet with bandaids on, lol! I can't be the only one with this problem :(. Anyone have any suggestions? I have too many projects left to do for Christmas to slow down now! :crocheting Any suggestions greatly appreciated!

If lotions and neosporin don't help over a few days, go see a doctor or dermitologist. It could be something like a fungal infection, or a vitamin deficiency.

i have eczema so cracked broker tender skin is a fact of life for me i HAVE to use lotion with oil bases i like the extra care johnsons soft lotion, its 1/4 baby oil. and the bag balm and udderly smoothe are GREAT GREAT GREAT! you have to slather them all on thick though to get good results, thats even what the directions say on some of them so go heavier not lighter to be safe.

Thanks again for all the wonderful ideas everyone! You've all been very helpful. My hands are already starting to feel better! I'm using the cut off finger tips from thin rubber gloves during the day (on my thumbs) so that I can keep on crocheting :crocheting. Last night I slathered on some bag balm and put on cotton gloves to go to bed. They're already starting to heal. This never happened before :think. Must be the cold weather, plus all these projects, lol! :hook

Happy Crocheting,

Ann

Archived