Crochet sizes

so in my ever continuous search for a sweater to make for me, I come across patterns with sizing like this:

SIZE: Small, Medium, Large, 1X, 2X, 3X

Bust measurements: 40 (44, 48, 52, 56, 60) in

well, I know I shouldn't complain (too much) about how small I am, but as a very small person, or really just a person, I think that's an awfully large small. I'm used to finding smalls too big, but generally by a small amount such that with all the other clothes I wear it doesn't really matter... just my short rant on sizing in patterns.

some of them, but there is no amount of clothing that would be reasonable to wear underneath to make a small that large fit me... most smalls that I consider to be reasonable are somewhere between 32 and 35/36

My guess would be that that is the finished bust measurement. Generally speaking (yarn council of america guidelines, etc) 4" ease is considered average ease. close fitting would be 2", and very loose, 6" ore more. So that one, the size small, the actual bust measurement would be 36" (unless the pattern states that it is supposed to fit loosely)

all that being said, that is still large for a small. I usually make med. stuff for myself, and THAT's a 36, smalls are usuall 32-34 (then ease, so 36-38" for finished measurements)

hope that didn't confuse you any worse :)

That is a really large small, I would suggest using a size smaller hook, which should not alter the pattern and will give you a smaller bust. I know what you mean, I was a 32A for most of my life until about ten years ago, where I gained a larget amount of weight. Now I have the opposite problem, and I hate it. In most crochet patterns if you go up in bust size, the rest of the sweater goes up to, making a large drapey garment that is flattering to no one in my opinion. If you don't know how to make adjustments in the rest of the pattern, which I really don't, it is very exasperating.

Archived