Recycled Christmas Grocery Tote Bag Pattern

RecycleCindy

Crochet this reusable tote bag for a Christmas gift this year. It makes a great gift as you can use it over and over again.

brntotetrim.thumbnail.JPG

This is crocheted from recycled brown plastic grocery bags and measures about 13 by 13 inches. It takes about 60 or so bags to make. It's a fun and eco-friendly gift idea with the free pattern here.

This is a great idea. And why not go even "greener" and make several to take to the grocery store with you to bring your groceries home in and avoid using MORE plastic bags?

That way, we don't continue to send plastic trash bags to the landfill.

I am going to make several for myself and use them just for that purpose.

And we only get white around where I live, but who cares?

Any effort at all helps the environment.

I've got a question, tho.............how wide to cut the strips?

There is no info in the instructions on that.

This looks great! Just a question... do you find that the straps stretch if you actually fill it with heavy items, like if you were to use it as a reusable grocery bag?

This looks great! Just a question... do you find that the straps stretch if you actually fill it with heavy items, like if you were to use it as a reusable grocery bag?

Hmmmm.......I hadn't thought of it stretching. I was hoping to use them for toting home groceries.

I wonder if it could be reinforced by using something else to crochet into the bag? Like maybe crocheting over a cotton yarn with the plastic?

This is a great idea. And why not go even "greener" and make several to take to the grocery store with you to bring your groceries home in and avoid using MORE plastic bags?

That way, we don't continue to send plastic trash bags to the landfill.

I am going to make several for myself and use them just for that purpose.

And we only get white around where I live, but who cares?

Any effort at all helps the environment.

I've got a question, tho.............how wide to cut the strips?

There is no info in the instructions on that.

Most of my strips are cut about 1 inch wide. Here is the link to the tutorial on how to make plastic bag yarn. http://www.myrecycledbags.com/2007/02/17/instructions-for-cutting-plastic-bags-creating-recycled-plastic-yarn/

I have lots of other patterns and tutorials for anyone how needs more information on how-to's. :crocheting

Hmmmm.......I hadn't thought of it stretching. I was hoping to use them for toting home groceries.

I wonder if it could be reinforced by using something else to crochet into the bag? Like maybe crocheting over a cotton yarn with the plastic?

You don't need to reinforce them at all. I use one like this all the time and have had some heavy items in my bag. Yes, they stretch but they go back basically to the original size.

WOW , That is really pretty and to think it is made out of plactic bags...Great Job!!

BTW I am still saving blue ones for you if you still want them :)

I can always use those pretty blue bags. Keep saving them until you have enough to make the shipment worth your while. I'm planning on sending you something as a thanks for all you have done for me. :manyheart

You don't need to reinforce them at all. I use one like this all the time and have had some heavy items in my bag. Yes, they stretch but they go back basically to the original size.

Thanks for the info. I will definitely have to try this after the holidays. I love the pattern.

I've made 6 plastic bags so far for Christmas presents this year! I've even got the whole family involved in making the 'yarn'. :):clap

3 are going to be for my nieces so they can use them for their swim gear.

2 are for my Grandma to take shopping.

1 is for my Secret Santa exchange.

I've got a pile of bags waiting to be cut up and used to make more. :c9

Your plastic bag crochet is my new favorite thing.

I can't really tell is this has a flat bottom on it... does it hold about as much as the plastic grocery bags it's made from?

I AM going to make this after the first of the year!

I crocheted this by adding stitches on the first several rounds on both ends of the bag which creates an expandable bottom (see the pattern for details.) When you put larger stuff in the bottom it spreads out and works fairly well for groceries. I would say that it holds nearly as much as store plastic bags and these crocheted bags are much stronger. No worries about tearing or the handles ripping through when you pick up your bag.

Most of my strips are cut about 1 inch wide. Here is the link to the tutorial on how to make plastic bag yarn. http://www.myrecycledbags.com/2007/02/17/instructions-for-cutting-plastic-bags-creating-recycled-plastic-yarn/

I have lots of other patterns and tutorials for anyone how needs more information on how-to's. :crocheting

I wonder if I could use the paper cutter at work and speed up the cutting process? Seems like I could do a whole bunch at once.

I wonder if I could use the paper cutter at work and speed up the cutting process? Seems like I could do a whole bunch at once.

It's interesting that you mention this. I started using the commercial paper cutter at work and it's wonderful. You can cut your bags so fast and even. Everyone used to ask me what I was doing, now they just say "Oh Cindy just cutting more of her bags." Seriously it's great, if you have a large paper cutter -- use it!

• 2 weeks later...

Archived