How long does it take you to....

1. to Crochet a 12" square without fancy work?

2. to Crochet a 12" square with several colors (say three), using the colors to make an image on the square just from looking at a picture (without a pattern)?

I'm curious.

1. to Crochet a 12" square without fancy work?

2. to Crochet a 12" square with several colors (say three), using the colors to make an image on the square just from looking at a picture (without a pattern)?[\quote]

1) I can make one in probably 15 min.

2) Haven't ever made a square without a pattern.

It takes me approx 2 hours to do a solid 12" square and about an hour +/- for a granny type.

Copying one from a picture, without a pattern would be about the same, it's hard to give an exact, because there could be frogging and redoing involved. If I got it right the first time, it would be the same as #1, then add a few minutes to weave in the ends.

depending on the size of yarn and hook I can make a 12" square in about 1/2 hour....

one with 3 or more colors it depends on how intricate the design is... I have made picture squares by just looking at the picture in a couple hours...

Ugh. I crocheted ribbed slippers for my 4yos recently and LOVE them! Now I'm making them for my 10yo son, and it feels like it's taking FOREVER. I realize I've only been crocheting for a couple of months, but I've learned to keep several things on the hook so as to give myself a break! LOL! Don't know if I'll ever be afghan material.... (((((HUGS))))) sandi

Ugh. I crocheted ribbed slippers for my 4yos recently and LOVE them! Now I'm making them for my 10yo son, and it feels like it's taking FOREVER. I realize I've only been crocheting for a couple of months, but I've learned to keep several things on the hook so as to give myself a break! LOL! Don't know if I'll ever be afghan material.... (((((HUGS))))) sandi

Keep at it. You'll get faster as you go. When I first started back in Feb, it took me forever to finish anything. My first baby blanket took me almost 3 weeks. Now I can whip out a hat in an hour (small) or 2 (adult), a baby blanket in a few days, and a throw only takes about a week or so...that is if I don't have 500 other projects I'm working on at the same time. :D

I'd say a 12" square takes me about 30 min, 45 with color changes...and I wouldn't know where to begin one with a picture. If you're tackling that, I say good for you!

1. depending on hook size and yarn weight 15 minutes to an hour (must factor in 3 y.o.'s occasional need for help)

2. with color changes I would think 30 minutes to an hour and a half because I tend to tie a knot after joining colors then work in the ends as I crochet if at all possible.

:)Well, now. I suppose you thought this was an easy question. Am I using worsted weight yarn or size 20 thread? Is it a stitch I know and can do lickety-split or one I need to learn for a piece someone wants. Is the yarn or thread easy to work with, or does it split?

But, okay, okay...Under ideal conditions, using high quality worsted weight and a good hook, the single color: circa 20-40 minutes. (I'm slow at the beginning.)

Tricolors, possibly 40-50 minutes.

But then again, it could be more or less time.:wink

Archived