CAL Before 2008 ( I Will Finish One Day)

Lesalicious

I updated my list, as most of it was for Christmas anyway. I took off some things because our plans changed and we weren't going to see some of the nieces and nephews this year (so we sent money). I'm now down to a much more reasonable list. I'm a chronic overachiever and always put way too many things on my to do list. :lol

I'm adding the fringe to my mother's scarf now (well, not now, it's break time for me... lol). And then I need to weave in 4 ends and her set is all done. I'll post pics this evening. I'm rather proud, the scarf is my own design to match the hat which I made from a pattern in a book. :D

I'm going to bust out my three step-children's sets this weekend as well. Luckily the largest of the sets is nearly done (just one more mitten), which is for my 13 yo DSD. The other two are still in the kid size range, so they will go much more quickly. I did the Out and About pattern from the Coats and Clark website; it's a really pretty set. Again, pics will come later.

I removed one of the kids' scarves from my list because my youngest (just turned 2 today) won't keep a scarf on. So a hat and mittens is all she gets, and they are done already. :hook

I figure I'll spend Monday finishing up my sweater. I really want it done because it's looking SOOO pretty!

Good luck to anyone else who isn't finished yet.

• Replies 220
  • Created
  • Last Reply

finished the cap, and I hate it. came out way too big, that's what I get for altering the pattern. Keeps falling down over my eyes. So the hat is history, and the Homespun is going back to my DD. I do not like working with Homespun. Even with regular worsted, all my crochet caps are always too big for me, no matter how much I measure and count.

Guess I have to stick to knitted ones.

Not on my finish before 2008 list, but I am in process of making 2 ghans for me and my grandson and 2 pink ribbon shawls for a good friend and DSIL. No way will they go on that list, too much to do.

Good luck and support to those still working on their lists. :ghug

finished the cap, and I hate it. came out way too big, that's what I get for altering the pattern. Keeps falling down over my eyes. So the hat is history, and the Homespun is going back to my DD. I do not like working with Homespun. Even with regular worsted, all my crochet caps are always too big for me, no matter how much I measure and count.

I have the opposite problem... most hats are a bit too small for me. Especially knitted ones. Guess I have a big head. :lol Actually, my 3 yo DD has the same problem; she has to wear almost adult sized hats already. Neither one of us look like we have large skulls, so it's kinda strange. :think I made a hat for her that was sized for toddlers, and it was so small it wouldn't even go around her head, just sat on top of it. So it got passed down to her little sister. :lol

Not on my finish before 2008 list, but I am in process of making 2 ghans for me and my grandson and 2 pink ribbon shawls for a good friend and DSIL. No way will they go on that list, too much to do.

Good luck and support to those still working on their lists. :ghug

I have the same problem with hats! LOL, I thought it was just me. I follow the pattern, get the right gauge and they are still too big. And as far as Homespun goes, I'll only use it for afghans if I double it with a light worsted weight, otherwise, it's just not worth it!

I'm considering my list 'complete' because I got everything done that I needed to get finished before the end of the year. Any other projects will have to on a new list!

Kim

I have the opposite problem... most hats are a bit too small for me. Especially knitted ones. Guess I have a big head. :lol Actually, my 3 yo DD has the same problem; she has to wear almost adult sized hats already. Neither one of us look like we have large skulls, so it's kinda strange. :think I made a hat for her that was sized for toddlers, and it was so small it wouldn't even go around her head, just sat on top of it. So it got passed down to her little sister. :lol

I wonder who established the norm for hats??? Normal for who???

I gave 7 out for gifts and 2 had to be adjusted. I had to make one longer as it didn't cover his ears all the way, and the other was too tight (have to frog and remake that one). If you ask the person what size their head is, then they will know what you are making. I find it so frustrating.

But in a way it is nice too, because if they ask you to fix it you know they will wear it, and not just toss it in a draw or closet.:hook

I have the same problem with hats! LOL, I thought it was just me. I follow the pattern, get the right gauge and they are still too big. And as far as Homespun goes, I'll only use it for afghans if I double it with a light worsted weight, otherwise, it's just not worth it!

I'm considering my list 'complete' because I got everything done that I needed to get finished before the end of the year. Any other projects will have to on a new list!

Kim

I LOVE how homespun feels, and can touch or wear it with no problem (especially when it is made by someone else ;) ). I think the gals who use homespun deserve a lot of credit, and are really talented. Maybe if I were younger:think? Nah, I would have given up way before now...:lol.

Update to my promise on the Comfortghan! I am almost done edging!!!!! :yay I will be done with that part by today. Now I just have the daunting task of figuring out the fastest + best looking method of joining together granny squares. :think

I hope you will post a pic!!!!:hook

I LOVE how homespun feels, and can touch or wear it with no problem (especially when it is made by someone else ;) ). I think the gals who use homespun deserve a lot of credit, and are really talented. Maybe if I were younger:think? Nah, I would have given up way before now...:lol.

LOL, too funny.....:lol

I agree with how it feels and even though I don't like working with it, I bought two skeins on sale yesterday! :think Oh well, guess I was up for a challenge?

BTW, I have a friend who knits and she loves it! She's making a sweater right now and is thrilled with how it's coming along....so it seems it's made for knitters?:yes

Kim

Well Ladies, this is it! The last day of 2007 and my final update. I didn't get everything done, but I definitely made a BIG dent. :cheer December was definitely my most productive crochet month ever. I finished 14 separate projects, most of them for Christmas gifts!!! Since I have to work today, I doubt I will be getting much done crochet wise, but will probably be up crocheting to see the new year in. Maybe I will get the green and white blanket done yet....we will have to see.

Good luck to everyone else! I will continue to work on crossing things off my to-finish list before starting another project. (yeah, it could happen....) Thanks to all of you for the inspiration and the motivation to try to get things wrapped up and cleaned out. Now, who is up for a use your stash challenge? That is my next hurdle.....

Here is my list:

Helmet liners (2) (0%)

Green & white Baby blanket (80%)

Hooded Scarf for gift (100%)

Dog toy (100%)

Baby bunny hat and mittens (100%)

Gingerbread man ornament (100%)

Neck Pillow for son (100%)

Fleece baby blanket with edging (100%)

Caleb's Blanket (100%)

Swiffer "Shrugs" for gifts (1/1)

Dish Cloth (3/3)

Pot Holders (1/1)

Good Morning, and some :mdust to get you through your day (and night). For those who have completed their lists :yay:hug

For those still working :cheer:hug

And for everyone :manyheart HAPPY NEW YEAR

Looking forward to meeting you again as we travel the roads of Crochetville and a wish that you all may find the things you seek.

Well I didn't actually get everything done but I did put a pretty good dent inthe list.

1. Sweater for Aimee (6 years old) (DONE)

2. Sweater for Kate (4 years old) (DONE)

3. Baby shell blanket (DONE)

4. Cropped cardigan for me (need to finish one sleeve and join it together)

5. Mystery project (DONE)

6. 3SUB for me (DONE)

7. Two baby shell blankets for the church nursery (one is complete and the second has about 15 rows out of 58 done)

8. Five one skein scarves (DONE)

9. 2SUB in white and various fun fur skeins I got for $0.50 each (about three quarters done)

But I was a fool enough to add more to the list several times and am still adding to the list :sigh I suspect I will never learn and am a hopeless case :lol I have added a Babette blanket and a knit sweater to the list...

I just finished my vintage tie jacket tonight and it looks fabulous! I'm considering myself done for the year, and here is my status:

Vintage Tie Jacket - Done

Hat & Scarf for my mother - Done

Scarf, Hat & Mittens for my kids - 2 of 4 done (2 started)

Scarf & Hat for my youngest kid - Done

Half Moon Shawl for my grandmother - Done

Q hook afghan for my mother - 15 of 20 squares complete - going to my 2008 list

Q hook afghan for my step-father - can't decide on a pattern yet - going to my 2008 list

During the time I was working on my list I also completed an additional scarf (for my mom but she didn't like it so I made the set listed above), a fan bookmark and a coffee cozy for my best friend. I'm so proud that I got this much done in less than a month and a half (I started on Nov. 19th). :hook This crochet-a-long was the best at keeping me motivated. I'm going to have to do a list every year now. :lol

Happy New Year, everybody!

Was this CAL before the beginning of 2008 or the end? :lol I didn't finish everything on my list, but I plan to in the next couple of weeks. I didn't even manage to finish all of my Christmas presents (yes, some people got IOU's for Christmas), which was a little disheartening. This was my first time crocheting gifts for everyone. Lesson learned - I should start NOW for next year. LOL. Oh, and the one's I did finish...I was too stressed to remember to take pictures. *sigh*

Congrats to everyone who finished their list or made a dent in it!! Should we start another CAL for before 2009? I think I might could finish a few things in 12 months' time. :D

Was this CAL before the beginning of 2008 or the end? :lol I didn't finish everything on my list, but I plan to in the next couple of weeks. I didn't even manage to finish all of my Christmas presents (yes, some people got IOU's for Christmas), which was a little disheartening. This was my first time crocheting gifts for everyone. Lesson learned - I should start NOW for next year. LOL. Oh, and the one's I did finish...I was too stressed to remember to take pictures. *sigh*

Congrats to everyone who finished their list or made a dent in it!! Should we start another CAL for before 2009? I think I might could finish a few things in 12 months' time. :D

I was thinking of starting one for 2008. Start it with our "Want to do this year" list. Think that would be a good idea?

I know it is now 2008, but I wanted to add that I finished one of the two remaining items on my list last night! Came pretty close to the deadline....now I just have to get the other one finished....will probably have to carry it over to the "Finish by 2009" CAL. :P

Sara

I was thinking of starting one for 2008. Start it with our "Want to do this year" list. Think that would be a good idea?

It might be a good idea to break it down into a smaller time period than a year....maybe "Finish before Memorial Day" or "Finish before July 4th". That way there isn't as long of a lead time on the projects. If I don't set a "short" deadline for myself, I am liable to stuff it back in the closet and forget about it again. :)

Just my $0.02.

Sara

Hey ladies looks like everyone was on a roll the last couple of months getting there things finished. I liked this CAL a lot it would be nice if some one do like try to finish in like the 4th of July kind of thing. I would do it but, I now have a bit on my plate with my other CAL going on. But, I got a lot of my projects done but, didn't finish my sukodu blanket so that may be on my to do/finish list by the 4th of july.

Sounds good to me but I agree with Sara, we need a shorter time frame

(and more realistic lists, :lol:wink.

Ok, I'll work on the wording of the post tomorrow, but I'll post a CAL with a quarterly time frame. We started the last one with 2 months before the end of the year, and well, I was crocheting rather feverishly to get as much done as I could. It was great motivation, but I think 3 months is a reasonable time frame for projects, especially if someone wants to do an afghan or something kinda large.

I'm working on my list of projects tonight so I can show an example.

Archived