You've Heard of a Bad Hair Day? Try a Bad Crochet Day!

Okay, I crochet tight and I do mean TIGHT. It makes beautiful and sturdy projects although can be fun to do and makes my fingers sore! I started a layette this morning using a one size bigger hook.(my usual solution that works-normally at least)

Well when I checked gauge on the yoke, I had one less INCH than I needed. Not a couple measley centimeters, but an entire inch. And had to practically force the hook through the stitches as well.

No way I can work on my Christening gown today-it will end up fitting Barbie! I was going to work on my other stuff and reward myself with getting to start my gown.

One last gripe-I have a new stitch I learned. Well, I guess its not new, I have done them before but not quite like this. Its a cluster and one of the hook throughs is a picot. Can you imagine the fun I am having trying to get my hook through a picot right now?

:eek

I'm sorry your day was unfruitful, Shellie! Sometimes it's just like that. If you crochet so very tightly, though, maybe you should keep increasing your hook size till you reach gauge. I don't crochet tightly at all and still I often use small yarn and a huge hook just to get a drapey fabric — if it's not a sized garment, that is.

Normally just one additional hook size works for me. I guess I am just too tense today and it shows in my stitches. I am going to have to use an H and RELAX. lol

It won't change the irritation factor of hooking through a picot but it sure will make it easier to do so! I know newborns are small but at this rate it will fit a small baby doll

i usually have to go up TWO hook sizes, and i've gone up 3 before. . . . but all that matters is the final result, so as long as you check your gauge before you are almost done a wearable. . . . . =p.

i recently made a beautiful hat for a friend who has cancer (chemo), but the first try it came out sized as a 2-3 yr. old's hat. it was so much trouble that i ended up just buying new yarn and saving the little hat. some lucky girl will be very cute one day, when i figure out who to give it to!

oh yeah, being tense really shows in your work! Stress in general makes me work more tightly than normal. Deep breath, relax and think happy thoughts...mountains of your favorite yarns, finished projects...happy sheep, whatever it takes to ease your work.

So Shellie I guess you don't want to know that my baby doll version of your pattern is going quite well. :wlol

I really am praying that you can get back in your groove as this is going to be spectacular when you get it done.

So Shellie I guess you don't want to know that my baby doll version of your pattern is going quite well. :wlol

I really am praying that you can get back in your groove as this is going to be spectacular when you get it done.

I would love to see your baby doll pattern! I took a nap and am feeling a little less anxious so I think I am ready to tackle the layette again. lol Either that or I should work on my bee scarf that I never should have said I would make!

I have had those bad crochet days too. I pick up a WIP only to crochet and frog crochet and frog. SCREAM! Than on to another WIP ~ crochet, frog, crochet frog....so on and so on.

I never realized that stress and tension went hand in hand. On a particularly stressful day all I can think about it getting home to de-stress (crochet) :D I have noticed sometimes that a row or two might be little tighter or looser. I just figured it was because my hand got tired.

I'm doing better today but I still have to use the H hook for my F pattern and I am having to add two rows. UGH I have written that down though so I can take it into account when I do borders, etc. I should go to I but I just can't seem to use anything bigger. lol

If I get enough done today I will reward myself by starting my Christening gown!

I normally have to go up 2 to 3 hook sizes too. I had a bad crochet day on Sunday. Nothing I worked on was coming out right, so I just made a simple headband (all sc and chains) for my dd. Once that simple project was completed, I felt better to move onto something more complicated again.

Archived