A change of pace...

This is going to be a silly question but...I gotta ask it.

I am interested in trying my hand at knitting (*gasp*, yea yea yea I know.) But my question is, when I first started to attempt knitting (about 6 months back), I had a kit that had a thicker yarn, worst weight or so. Can I use the yarn I crochet with to knit with or does it have to be that thick yarn.

My mind is blanking out thinking all yarn is for crocheting only...not for knitting...

Thanks.

the one and only time I successfully completed a knitting project (baby blanket for my son) I used Caron SS

I do both and use same yarns. It depends on the hook or needle size and what you are making. The thickness of needle will determine how loose the stitch is. You would need to try a swatch to see how it comes out. If you are using a pattern they will give you the size required in yarn and needle.

If you want to change them then you will have to do a swatch to determine what works. As a beginner (unless you are very adventurous) I would suggest sticking with the pattern. Also your tension is important too. This site does have a knitting class you may want to try.

Basically, hook sizes and knitting needles sizes coincide. For instance, an H8 hook would be the same idea as a size 8 knitting needle (both 5 mm, I believe). In other words, whatever crochet hook you'd use for a particular yarn (let's say G6 for Caron SS) you'd use the corresponding knitting needle (in this example, size 6).

Of course, you definitely want to do a gauge swatch to be sure of what knitting needle size would be right for a particular project. I personally tend to crochet tightly but knit more or less to gauge.

I taught myself how to knit last year...with ginormous needles and worsted weight yarn. (all I had were ginormous needles the day I figured it out)

When I went out to buy knitting needles, I decided to get needles that were the same size as my favorite crochet hook (size I is my favorite size hook) Which worked out great, the needles were the size that I'm used to when crocheting. I think it helped me figure out how to get the right gauge and how to not knit too tightly.

Yeah the kit I got came with Chunky USA deniem yarn and US 11 (8mm) needles. So I tried using RRSS (I don't have the label anymore, but it isn't Chunky thick) and it was just ackward. Luckly I still have another skein of Chunky from the kit (Lion Brand Learn - to - Knit), so I'll go back to using that.

IMO it seems to work faster than crochet. Though all I can do is cast on stitches and the knit stitch.

Archived