Help with Bernat's Martha like poncho?

angieo

Question

:D Hi ladies! I've been lurking for a few weeks and wanted to ask for some help. I'm making the Martha like ponch from www.bernat.com. My question is it looks too small. This is my first attempt at ponchos - I've always done afghans. I normally wear Women's small but it doesn't look like it will cover my shoulders . I still have about 12 more rows to do but where the small top v where you start looks awfully small. Is this the actual whole for the head? If it is too small could I add stitches to the side before I sew them together? Any suggestions? Maybe I'm just scared since it's my first attempt!

14 answers to this question

Sorry I'm not going to be much help besides the obvious. I'm not familiar with the bernat pattern, though I have helped many people to understand the lion brand one. After reading the pattern, the top is where your head would go and if it is too small than maybe your stitch count is off. Other things to check is if you changed the type of yarn called for or the hook size, or if you crochet tightly, it may be too small. You can try adding stitches along the edges, but the pattern would be difficult to match, it would increase the head opening. Personally, I would rather frog it ang start again, also the lion brand pattern works in rounds and so you would know immediately if the size isn't going to work.

Sorry I wasn't much help. Hope it all works out.

I've made this pattern before. By the way it's not really like Martha's poncho, but it's very cute. I'm confused by your question, because I believe this poncho is done in the round, so there's nothing to sew together. I'm not a member at Bernat so I can't read the pattern right now, and I'm at work and don't have the booklet with me. I actually altered the pattern a bit to make it smaller for my 9 yo nieces, but it still fit over my head, so it sounds like something's wrong. Here's a link to the ones I made for my nieces. It's the one that's 4th from the bottom on the right/

http://www.picturetrail.com/gallery/view?p=999&gid=5248742&uid=2633172

Tepper.. the benat pattern is worked in two pieces and sewn together .. the lionbrand is worked in the round.. I havent done the benat one for that reason..

the top may look small but how big is it? have you measured... and when you measure and double that.. is that big enough to go around your head? if it is you have no worries...

I printed off the pattern a while ago to see what it looked like. It is done in Peggy Square Pattern (Granny Square). The picture on the web-site does not look like the actual stitch when it is worked.

It is started at the top with a wee SC band, then the main stitch is started. If you want to make it bigger on the shoulders, on the first row of the main pattern do not miss any SC from the previous row. You will end up with more 3 DC groups but as long as the increase point is in the middle, you should not have a problem. This will make the whole poncho wider at the top but will not make the neck any bigger. You will need more yarn if you are making the poncho bigger. Remember the scallop will need to be fitted to the wider poncho edge. Clear as mud I hear you say but it will work so fel free to PM me for clearer instruction.

Have fun.

Colleen AKA Aggie May.

I have looked at this pattern and personally I think the Lion Brand pattern

is easier . It works up in rounds and once you get the scallops to work up

right you have a beautiful poncho. Although I would like any tips on the

scallops. Mine don't seem to look as big as the ones in the picture of the

Poncho from Lion Brand. It also seems that all of these Martha's Poncho

patterns that I have found on line still the Scallops look different then the

actual Poncho that Martha Stewart was wearing. The scallops on that poncho

did not look as open and lacy.

Does anyone out there think the same thing ? Would love to hear what you

think.

Sharon J.

I made the Lion brand one, but when I got to the scallops...I quit! I cannot get them to look right. I thought it was just me. Glad to hear someone else had a problem with them. :blush

Mine are just not coming out with the right amount of stitches. I followed everything to the letter too. Hmmm....May just have to put my own on it, huh?:lol

Nancy, if you need a hand let me know. I have printed the pattern off and dont mind working out your problem.

Have fun.

Colleen

PS I have a very simple scallop pattern which I could try to post here if you need it. It is a bit more solid and only 2 rows but is easy to fit onto most ponchos. I have posted it on HGTV under the heading "Easy Scallop Edge for Any Poncho."

Archived