*UPDATE* Sun-Tea Dyeing Part 2

cajunwhacko

Well, we managed to find lemon-lime koolaid yesterday - the one my family has referred to as 'green koolaid' for probably almost 20 years. I told my mom that the green yarn right now reminds me of celery, and she laughed and said she was thinking the same thing. So, I think we'll use a little bit more water and twice as much green koolaid and try again. The only question is when, I close all week so I don't get home til 9. Hopefully I'll have Saturday off...

Anyway, I'll let y'all know how it goes. I mean, we can't have yarn that looks like celery! :lol

Celery's not a bad color. You might be surprised how nicely it could work up. But experimenting with the colors is fun. I have one skein of yarn that's still waiting for me to continue its color changes.

Okay, part 2 should take place tomorrow...

right now the plan is to redye the green aka celery yarn in lemon lime - 2 packets per skein instead of 1, and the green in berry blue to see if that will make it blue-er.

if i can talk mom into taking me to the commissary, i'll add a packet of arctic green apple to the lemon lime to lighten it up a little. if i end up with GREEN green (like green koolaid, obviously) that's fine, but I think I'd like it a little lighter. And with 3 packets of 'dye' I darn well know it'll come out brighter!

Also, here is the close-up dry pic that was requested before. I took it a few days ago but didn't get around to uploading it off the camera until now. It's a little blurry, but you can see where the green didn't dye... one packet per hank definitely wasn't enough. You can't see it, but there are a few little places where the same thing happened on the other hank. I think 2 packets was about the right number for minimum coverage, the yarn just didn't quite get squished around enough.

I'll post the results of my next experiment sometime tomorrow night, including measurements and timing etc.

The other good thing that I forgot to mention before about the sun-tea method - it doesn't stink up your house! I rinsed my yarn in the tub afterwards, and the bathroom smelled like, well, wet sheep, for half a day or so, but it wasn't anything the exhaust couldn't handle.

th_kadyeclose.bmp

Here are my new pics! They got about 1 1/2 hours in the sun, then it clouded over and started raining. We put them in the screened porch, and even though it never got sunny again, it worked! They look so cool... the blue started to felt a little though :eek

th_karedye1.jpg

th_karedye2.jpg

th_karedye3.jpg

Now if only they would fix my shoulder so I can use it! I can't wait to try my hand making a messenger bag from it. I'm still thinking about how to put pockets on... hmmmm

Guess I should go see if it's dry yet and wind it up if it is!

Archived