Bearghan Help?

I've crocheted all of my Bearghan except the head and boy am I stumped. Any other time I have had pattern problems I was always able to figure it out but not this time. I have tried this way over 20 times and nothing looks right. I have a feeling I'm not reading the pattern right. Would it be possible for someone to explain to me a few rows (maybe rows 2 and 3?) I'm at my wit's end here and you guys are my last hope. :)

Bearghan Head:

This is an asymmetric granny square. It's made in a slightly unusual way to make one corner less pointed for top of the bear's head.

Rnd 1: Make ring around finger with yarn. Working in ring, ch 3, 2 dc, ch 1, (3 dc, ch 1) 3 times. Join with sl st to beginning ch 3.

Rnd 2: Sl st in next 2 st, sl st in corner ch 1 sp. (Ch 3, dc, ch 2, 2 dc) in same sp. Dc in next 3 sts, (2 dc, ch 2, 2 dc) in corner sp 2 times. Dc in next 3 st, 3 dc in corner sp, dc in next 3 sts. Join with sl st in beginning ch 3.

Rnd 3: Sl st in next st, sl st into corner. (Ch 5, dc) in same sp. (Dc in next 7 st, (dc, ch 2, dc) in corner sp) 2 times. Dc in next 3 sts, 2 dc in next st, dc in next 2 sts, 3 dc in next st (corner), dc in next 2 sts, 2 dc in next st, dc in next 3 sts. Join with sl st in beginning ch 3.

Rnd 4: Sl st into corner. (Ch 3, dc, ch 2, 2 dc) in same sp. (Dc in next 9 sts, (2 dc, ch 2, 2 dc) in corner) 2 times. Dc in next 9 sts, 3 dc in next st (corner), dc in next 9 sts. Join with sl st in beginning ch 3.

Rnd 5: Sl st in next st, sl st into corner. (Ch 3, dc, ch 2, 2 dc) in same sp. (Dc in next 13 sts, (2 dc, ch 2, 2 dc) in corner) 2 times. Dc in next 12 sts, 3 dc in next st (corner), dc in next 12 sts. Join with sl st in beginning ch 3.

Rnd 6: Sl st in next st, sl st into corner. (Ch 3, dc, ch 2, 2 dc) in same sp. (Dc in next 17 sts, (2 dc, ch 2, 2 dc) in corner) 2 times. Dc in next 15 sts, 3 dc in next st (corner), dc in next 15 sts. Join with sl st in beginning ch 3.

Rnd 7: Sl st in next st, sl st into corner. (Ch 5, dc) in same corner. (Dc in next 21 sts, (dc, ch 2, dc) in corner) 2 times. Dc in next 18 sts, 3 dc in next st (corner), dc in next 18 sts. Join with sl st in beginning ch 3.

Rnd 8: Sl st into corner. (Ch 3, dc, ch 2, 2 dc) in same sp. (Dc in next 23 sts, (2 dc, ch 2, 2 dc) in corner) 2 times. Dc in next 21 sts, 3 dc in next st (corner), dc in next 21 sts. Join with sl st in beginning ch 3.

Rnd 9: Sl st in next st, sl st into corner. (Ch 5, dc) in same corner. (Dc in next 27 sts, (dc, ch 2, dc) in corner) 2 times. Dc in next 24 sts, 3 dc in next st (corner), dc in next 24 sts. Join with sl st in beginning ch 3.

Rnd 10: Sl st in next st, sl st into corner. (Ch 3, dc, ch 2, 2 dc) in same sp. (Dc in next 29 sts, (2 dc, ch 2, 2 dc) in corner) 2 times. Dc in next 26 sts, 3 dc in next st (corner), dc in next 26 sts. Join with sl st in beginning ch 3.

Rnd 11: Sl st in next st, sl st into corner. (Ch 5, dc) in same corner. (Dc in next 33 sts, (dc, ch 2, dc) in corner) 2 times. Dc in next 27 sts, 3 dc in next st (corner), dc in next 27 sts. Join with sl st in beginning ch 3.

Rnd 12: Sl st into corner. (Ch 3, dc, ch 2, 2 dc) in same sp. (Dc in next 35 sts, (2 dc, ch 2, 2 dc) in corner) 2 times. Dc in next 31 sts, 3 dc in next st (corner), dc in next 31 sts. Join with sl st in beginning ch 3. Finish off.

The two "square" sides of square should measure about 12 inches. If necessary, you may add or delete rows to accomplish this.

hmm. I've made this one at least once. I don't remember having any problems...........

I really feel silly over this, I think I'm reading the pattern wrong. I can't think of anything else.

It took me a couple of trys to get it right, but it will work. Just do exactly what it says, and you will end up with a square that is kind of rounded on one end, that will be top of the bears head. Go slow, it may take a bit to get it right. Sometimes I find if I read the pattern out loud as I go, it helps. The pattern is right. You will get it, don't worry. :hook

I added a pic of the bears head, you can see how the top is rounded and the other three corners are square. Hope it helps.

http://s104.photobucket.com/albums/m190/crazycrochet/?action=view&current=bearaghan.jpg

I had the same issue making this blanket. I tried everything. It seemed to me that I followed the directions exactly but it still did not look right. I modified the pattern to round the head of the bear. I did not write down the directions. The frustration was too much. Good luck! Just play with the shaping and you will figure it out.:)

I think this is the pattern as it reads the same way...

http://www.geocities.com/cdjsimon/bearghan.html

I think that the point where she says " (2 dc, ch 2, 2 dc) in corner sp 2 times" she left out the stitches between the two corners. by the look of the picture, those stitches need to be there.

I did it as written and there was no way I could stretch a (dc,ch 2, dc) in one corner to get to the other corner on row 3. It might have worked with (2dc, ch2, 2dc) but not with one. So that wasn't working and I switched it to doing what seemed likely to be wanted - dc in the stitches between corners.

Then I engaged my brain :eek and went to CPC to find the pattern to look at the pic. if you add in those stitches between those corner sets it will work and it looks like the pic. That softer (3dc) in the 'top' corner will still get you the look you want and the rest of the pattern works out.

Yep, what Darski said.

I think the designer just missed some punctuation.

As written:.....

Rnd 2: Sl st in next 2 st, sl st in corner ch 1 sp. (Ch 3, dc, ch 2, 2 dc) in same sp. Dc in next 3 sts, (2 dc, ch 2, 2 dc) in corner sp 2 times.

What would have been clearer:

Rnd 2: Sl st in next 2 st, sl st in corner ch 1 sp. (Ch 3, dc, ch 2, 2 dc) in same sp. *Dc in next 3 sts, (2 dc, ch 2, 2 dc) in corner sp; repeat from * one more time.

The same applies to the front part of the instructions for subsequent rows, the main thing that changes is the # of slip stitches to the corner, and the number of dc between corners.

Hang in there!

Thanks everyone! I've been so busy the last few days I haven't had any time to crochet but I'll certainly try all the tips. If it turns out okay I'll post a pic. :)

Archived