Im confused now..... What is the story on the Merino Wool...

Doey

I've always heard you cant felt Merino Wool, so whats the deal on that?:think I was just told a few days ago to stay away from Merino Wools, they dont felt. Then when I come here I see that people are felting Merino Wool.... I know you have to stay away from "SuperWashed" and you can felt any thing that has atleast a 70% wool content... I know that it wont felt as well with other blends that are not wool or animal wool blends. Whats the general rule of thumb and are there any wools that dont felt as well? So far I have used these brands... Lambs Pride, Cascade, Kyern Nuro ( SP ) Shetlands DK, Galway, Jo Sharp, Peruvian Wool, PaintBox,wool of the andes, Knit Picks brands, some Japanese brands ( LOL ) and a couple other brands that I cant remember, plus that generic brand from ebay. All of them were 100% wool. They felted great. It usually takes me 2 - 3 10 min aggitation cycles on my washer to get a nice felt... I use a pillow case, lowest water setting and hottest water. Most everything I do is on a J size crochet hook ( I crochet very tight ) most is done on a double crochet... but I do like the eveness of the single crochet.

Thanks

Doey

My first felting experiences were with Merino. One note of caution, but it applies to any wool. White and light colors may not felt well, if they have been bleached during processing. Something about the chemical changes that take place to lighten the wool, so if you're using these light colors, test first.

I heard it from the sales person at a local yarn shop. Guess they dont do much experimenting. I'll just have to test some of the merino wool out. I finally got my flower all ready.... its in pieces. Should I assemble it after I felt the pieces? And would pinning the pieces to some fabric inhibit the felting process?

thanks Doey

Archived