crochet does make friends

I was recently hospitalized on the telemetry unit at our local hospital after an episode of chest pain and fainting. Well luckily they allowed me to crochet. I was able to stay calm throughout the uncertainty and testing by working on Christmas and Birthday gifts for family and trying out some new ideas. Each shift ( i rarely slept while there) a nurse would ask about what I was doing and we would talk a bit. Also My last roommate crocheted aswell so we were able to keep eachother company. Of course she was much older than me but it gave us something in common to talk about in between vitals and tests. Crochet really does help build bridges. I am ok my issues were anxiety and asthma related.

Chrissy

Glad to hear you are alright.

Be careful with the asthma. I know those pains personally.

It is amazing how many people are interested when you crochet. I ran across that when the DH was in with his heart attack. I sat all day and crocheted. He was the only one in the room and when ever the nurses came in they asked what I was crocheting.

It also bridges the gap between the generations.

Take care of your self and be careful.:hook

Crocheting also lowers your blood pressure. (unless it's christmas eve, and you have a party to be in an hour, and you still have 45 rows and a zillion tails to weave in on a gift)

They probably let you crochet because it'll keep you calm...and calm is what they want when you're in a hospital.

I've noticed that when I crochet, my breathing evens out and I get a wonderful relaxed feeling.

Petting a dog does the same thing, relaxes you and lowers your blood pressure. I bet if they did a study, comparing the differences between petting a dog or crocheting and the effects both have on your blood pressure, there would probably be not much of a difference.

Many years ago I went in for a sinus operation. I knew I'd be there 3 or 4 days, so I took a crochet project, my first small afghan. When my roomie was brought in with her leg up, broken from a car accident, she asked "Oh, what are you making?" and pulled out her own crochet project!

Real Deal

You are so right. Crocheignreally helps you make friends. I have made quite a few friends whenI have ataken my crocheting with me. They may not crochet, but they always want to stop and talk about what I am doing.

Archived