Learning Tunisian Stitch

toy&joycrochet

I have been practicing tunisian stitch, using a double-ended crochet hook. I want to learn the technique to make a better looking graphghan. I think that I will start my afghan this week. Is there anyone out there interested in learning too? Or maybe you already know the tunisain stitch and would like to offer some helpful tips. By the way I started the thread sports graph afghan, which inspired this one.

HPIM0750.JPGHPIM0757.JPG

I'll join you! I don't have the double ended Tunisian hooks, I have the really big extra long Tunisian wooden hooks. I have a pattern by StitchDiva for a poncho using ribbon yarn and tunisian crochet that I'd like to make. I tried Tunisian a while back and wasn't sure I liked the way it turned out.

Kim

I'm not sure that I'll make much, but I'll join to learn. I've tried tunisian a couple of times, but I stitch very tightly, so this made my hands ache. If I can loosen my gauge a little, it might be enjoyable. I think I will just make dishcloths, though. I've got two afghans and a tree skirt going, along with miscellaneous smaller projects, so I'm not adding anything big!

Amanda

HI Jean:

Thank you for posting the link to our CAL for the ladies here that want to learn to jump right on over and pick up the how to's.

Ladies we have come far along now but if you read the first few pages and then if you read from like page 115 on to the end it will inspire you to get them afghan hooks and start..

If you want to join us you can go right ahead and introduce your self over there and its okay if you don;t have in mind to do a graph afghan if you want to do something wearable you can still jump in and join us.. We will be happy to have you over...

by the ways I'm Lillibet (Moomooo) in the middle of packing to move.... Yikes.

I know that you are not talking about graph ghans right now, but I did want to add a small tip that I use when works. Although using a magnet board is great to help when reading a chart/graph, but I bought a knit stitch counter that I slide on the end of my hook. This way, I am able to know exactly where I am at. This is a good fail-safe, especially if you have kids like I do and they like to drop your chart. :lol

Here is my first attempt at Tunisian - a dishcloth. Although, it is so soft it may become a washcloth for the bathroom instead. I used one of those double ended hooks that doesn't have a size on it, but it feels like a J hook. I have some H's but I stitch too tightly for that. I didn't sc around it, but next time I probably will.

http://amandascrochetconfessional.blogspot.com/2007/10/dishcloth-tuesdays-2.html

I have tried this particular stitch before, but mine always rolls on the end.

Is there something I'm doing wrong, or is this typical of this particular stitch?

Is there anyway to stop it from rolling?

For those of you that are still struggling with learning this stitch. Annie's Attic has a free pattern that is done in this stitch. I like it a lot and wanted to share. That and the fact that it is a small piece so it is perfect to learn from.

http://www.anniesattic.com/free_pattern_day/index.html

Archived