Knitting Daily

DesertCrocheter

Anyone else get the Knitting Daily emails from Interweave Press? I've been getting them since they started up a month or so ago, and I must say, even as a beginner knitter, I am enjoying them immensely! Sandi, the editor, seems so down-to-earth and I think I'd love to have her sit in my living room and knit with me. She's been discussing sizing properly, and all kinds of topics that are helpful, even to novices. Today's was about cables, which unbelievably I've done and she, master knitter that she is, never had. I recommend you go the Interweave website and check it out. Patty

I love getting my email from them. They try very hard to make sure that they listen to us. ie. the sizing poll for real womens bodys. (bust shaping)

I love the multi-color scarf that they had last week. I really want to give that one a go.

I get it too.

Hazelcreek is the scarf you are talking about this one? I covet it! I looked up the Rowan Kidsilk Haze yarn that it calls for....it would cost around $125 to make it! I still really want to knit this....I think I am going to look for a substitution in the yarn....

Smokey, Hazlecreek, I so loved that scarf too! I was showing it to my coworker who's teaching herself to knit, and we both agreed that was an awful lot of weaving in. I haven't done mitered squares, I thought they'd be too advanced for me. Sandi said that there was plenty of the yarn left over, I can't remember if she said enough for another scarf, but that does, in essence, reduce the cost of the luscious yarn (which I covet too!). But I'm paying off an obscenely huge veterinary bill right now because I'm a total slave to my animals, so there's no way I could work that into my budget even if I was good enough to tackle mitered squares (which I'm not).

Maybe we should let Sandi know we beginners love how clear her explanations are, and the practical information, and the projects (even if we're all crocheters at heart). I agree, I've been inspired by some to practice my knitting more. Patty

Has anyone gotten their e-mail yet. I just got mine and it's about the bad feelings that knitters have toward crocheters.

For those that don't get the newsletter here is the quote

There, I said it: Crochet. We're an online community called Knitting Daily, and I've gone and said the word "crochet," right up front for all the world to see. From the beginning, crochet has been part of Knitting Daily's mission, but I haven't yet devoted a post to it. We've covered other yarnly delights, such as knitting socks, knitting lace, and tossing your knitting into the washing machine to felt it. Why shouldn't we also discuss that other lovely way to play with yarn—crochet?

Frankly, knitting and crochet sometimes seem like two grown sisters who've been having an ongoing feud since one sister stole the other sister's Barbie doll back in grade school. There's an odd schism between the two, and I've seen some pretty heated conversations online about which one is "the best." Sometimes it takes on the flavor of the Sharks versus the Jets: Crafters snapping their fingers to a backbeat, brandishing hooks and needles, and getting ready to rumble.

So it's worth asking: Why can't we all just get along? Why such strong feelings for and against? The sister-crafts of knitting and crochet are each beautiful in their own way; each of them has a rich history full of artistry and gorgeous things made with yarn and a carved stick (or two). After all: Handweavers and knitters don't spat like this. Embroiderers and cross-stitchers don't hiss at the mention of the other. Why does Needle scorn Hook, and vice versa?

As many of you know, I am a passionate crocheter in addition to being a passionate knitter. I have published designs that are all-crochet as well as those that are all-knitting. I speak the language of the hook about as well as I speak the language of the dpns. We have some great free crochet patterns here on Knitting Daily, including Lily Chin's Lace Dress (that's what Annie is wearing in the photo above), you can now subscribe to Interweave Crochet (four times a year! whoo!), and there are some great new crochet books coming out—and I'd love to share them all with you.

Some folks hate knitting socks. Some folks dislike knitting lace. And some folks don't like to crochet. But I think there's room for everyone here on Knitting Daily—what do you think?

I'm glad to see her enlightening the knitting world that the two can get along.

I left a comment myself, and you'll know which it is since I mention (not by name) a large crochet forum discussing Knitting Daily and how we love it. I have to say, without meaning any disrespect or painting with too broad a brush, that it seems as if the knitters have a problem with the crocheters, and not the other way around. The ones who do both are totally happy with whatever gets published in the newsletters, but the non-crocheters are adament about no crochet patterns being allowed, not even a mention of the C word. Crocheters all seem to appreciate the stuff they knit, and are practicing so we can be good knitters one day too, and they (the ones that seem so anti-crocheting) just dismiss all crochet. Maybe they've fallen for all that hype and we haven't? Seriously, I don't think I've seen an anti-knitting comment on the 'Ville. Maybe they're trend knitters and haven't been at this as long as the more accepting knitters have been and have that holier-than-thou attitude new-born addicts can sometimes get? Two crochet patterns and one message about the new magazine and they're afraid we're taking over the world. ...Or are we? :hook LOL, I agree, Hazlecreek, maybe Sandi can knit and crochet a bridge between the diehards on each side. Patty

I posted a comment on Knitting Daily also. I was happy to read about crochet and in reading the posts it did seem that some knitters were unhappy with ANY mention of crochet. Like "How dare she mention the C-word!" I think this could get interesting.

And now I'm thinking--I am not a member of any knitting forums, but are there any that have a "special interest" section for knitters who also crochet?

I also receive and enjoy the Knitting Daily emails. Haven't seen the newest one yet, but I find it interesting and sad that they have to rush to the defense of crochet. I'm encouraged that it looks like they are finally including at least some crochet patterns - hooray! I hope they continue to add more. I knit as well as crochet, and I love both activities with equal passion. I plan to send my pro-crochet comments to Knitting Daily as well. :hook

I like Knitting Daily too. I signed up for the knitting info so the crochet info is a bonus.

I like that she defended crochet. At the same time if they really think that crochet and knitting are both valuable fiber arts then why didn't they name the the daily website something else? Especially if the fully intended to share crochet info as well.

I said as much in a response to them. I suggested (this may already be a blog name so not doable) Yarning with a hook and needle.

Now that I can do both I don't mind seeing both in a magazine. Yet if you don't knit why do you need a knitting patterns in a crochet mag and vice versa. I can see some articles and information why as a knitter it's useful to improve some crochet skills for finishing.

So I guess even though she defended crochet it irks me that it's called Knitting Daily when she saids the fully intended to share info about crochet as well. I think it adds to the confusion of the two and also add to the premium put on knitting though unintended.

Archived